Psychiatric Nursing

<p>I have a BA in psychology and I have been looking into psychiatric nursing. I realize I would probably need a higher degree (Masters), but I was wondering if anyone here works in psychiatric nursing or knows someone who does? How did they get into that job? Were they an RN or NP/PA? I'm not sure whether I need to look at nursing programs with anemphases on psychiatrics or if general programs are fine and I learn the rest on my own? Does my BA tie into it at all as useful?</p>

<p>My wife has a BSN. Her MSN is in psychiatric nursing. She had twenty years experience in “Psych” nursing, If you want to be a psych nurse you need your BSN. Fortunately you already have a BA and won’t need to start completely over. Look into the nursing as a second degree programs that many universities offer. You start with a BSN, get some experience and then can (if you choose) pursue a NP in psychiatric nursing. Good luck.</p>

<p>I’ve seen at least one school (NP program) accept RNs with a bachelors in another field. I think a BSN in nursing would be almost like starting over for me, and is simply not affordable since I already have student loans from my BA. Which I why I’m looking at RN programs at local community colleges for now.</p>

<p>^^^
Which NP program accepts RNs with a bachelors in another field? This information could certainly be helpful to others…now and in the future.</p>

<p>It was mentioned by another member in this thread:
<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/nursing-major/1254304-2nd-bachelors-nursing.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/nursing-major/1254304-2nd-bachelors-nursing.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>So I investigated a bit. Unfortunately I did not save the school in my Favorites because I’m not at the point of applying to NP programs yet, but I will try to find it again. When I do I’ll post it on here.</p>

<p>My guess is that very few schools offer it, and probably less “prestigious” programs, but in the nursing field I’m not sure how much prestige really matters unless you’re looking at highly competitive areas compared to areas with large shortages.</p>

<p>Aha! It was Drexel University that has an accelerated RN to MSN “bridge” program for students with a bachelors in another subject:
[R.N,-M.S.N</a>. Bridge Option - Division of Graduate Nursing](<a href=“http://drexel.edu/gradnursing/msn/fastTrack/RN-MSN-BridgeOption/]R.N,-M.S.N”>Master of Science in Nursing "Bridge" Program | College of Nursing and Health Professions | Drexel University)</p>

<p>Thanks for posting this information!
Since you don’t already have your RN…you might want to look into the accelerated 2nd Degree BSN programs. You do not need to start completely over. Here is one from Pitt, but many colleges offer this program.
<a href=“http://www.nursing.pitt.edu/academics/accelerated.jsp[/url]”>http://www.nursing.pitt.edu/academics/accelerated.jsp&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>I cannot afford to relocate, and the RN program would cost me thousands less and has a good job outlook in my area. I applied to two of my local community college programs so I will hear from them in about 2 months. All of the schools in my area with a BSN program cost $30k+ a year, and transfers/2nd baccs get little or no financial aid aside from loans. So my plan is to get my RN, work for a few years, and then look at the RN to MSN options I would have after paying down my other student loans.</p>

<p>I realize a BSN would be the best option, especially for applying to grad school, but it isn’t feasible at the moment. Pitt is about 6 hours from my home, and PSU’s main campus is about 3 hours. I live in northeastern PA, so I am surrounded by pricey private LACs and community colleges. Kutztown is a cheap (albeit less respected) option, but I see that their program is not admitting new students - the wording on their site says it is in “moratorium,” so I’m staying away from there. The school I graduated from (Moravian) would cost me another arm and leg to return to. Wish I would have considered psychiatric nursing before graduating :confused: </p>

<p>Would your wife say that psychiatric nurses are as in-demand as more general practitioners, or is it more difficult to find work in that specialty? That is also one of my concerns. Even though I see job openings for psychiatric nurses, I can’t really gauge how competitive the positions are, and I know this would vary by area. I’m hoping if I can get through graduate school, I’d have the financial means to relocate for a better job.</p>

<p>I would recommend getting a job in psych asap, make sure you like it! Where I work will hire inexperienced since we are not acute care. PM me and i will tell you who to contact. We are not acute care though but a good place to start. Definately there are some good places to get experience once you get started.</p>

<p>Sorry I didn’t read your post carefully enough before, but to add to my suggestion to get a job in psych, many BA Psych grads end up as counselors but I think Mental Health Nurse or Mental Health Nurse Practioner degrees have a lot to offer that Counseling alone does not, so if you are so inclined, go for it. I work with a woman who started out with her BA, working fulltime got her RN, then her BSN and then her MSN, now is applying Mental Health Nurse Practioner, all while working full time. She also got a part time job in acute care to make sure she liked that type of setting. You might need to get a job as a Mental Health Worker in an acute care setting (check out Philhaven in Lebanon) and a few hospitals still have inpatient programs. Do it while you are young if you can, to maximize your earning power!! I believe there will be jobs for Masters prepared psych nurses in many areas of practice.</p>