publishing industry...help..

<p>Hi, I'm currently a junior in high school and for the prospects of my future majors/career, I am more inclined to enter the publishing industry (ie. books, magazine industry, etc.)
But I don't know which universities/colleges are famous for journalism/English majors. I wish to go to one that is rather successful and known for those respective departments..</p>

<p>thanks (:</p>

<p>if you are sure on this you’d probably want an MA in English… look for programs that have a 5 year BA/MA</p>

<p>USNW is fine…</p>

<p>honestly the best bet would be BA English > company paid MBA.</p>

<p>You should focus first on deciding what characteristics of a school are the best fit for you in terms of size, location (region, distance from home, rural/urban/suburban), selectivity, affordability, etc.</p>

<p>Since English is a core discipline at most schools, there are numerous strong English departments. Choose on the basis of the overall strength of the school. Since there are no rankings of undergrad English depts, the graduate rankings will give you some idea of faculty strength, but these don’t tell you about the quality of undergrad teaching. Smaller schools may offer more interaction with faculty, but smaller schools are less likely to have journalism programs. Most of the very selective private universities also tend not to have journalism programs, at least at the undergrad level, but students from these schools do enter careers in publishing. Some English major programs do offer subconcentration options in book arts/print culture/publishing. You probably also might consider whether a school’s English dept. has a good program in creative writing, especially in nonfiction genres, and whether the school has good extracurricular opportunities in journalism. Availability of internships (or, location with access to internships in publishing companies) might be a consideration. The structure of requirements for English majors is fairly similar across schools (e.g., some survey literary history courses, distribution across literary periods, a theory/criticism course, etc.) but they may differ in the flexibility of requirements or number of required courses. If you are planning to combine an English major with a journalism major, you also might opt for an English program with greater flexibility/fewer requirements to make this easier to do. </p>

<p>As for journalism schools, Northwestern and Missouri generally are considered the top undergrad programs. Others to consider are Indiana U, U Wisconsin, U Minnesota, U Kansas, Ohio U, U Iowa, U North Carolina, and Syracuse. Some others that might interest you are Emerson College and Columbia College (Chicago), though I suspect their English programs are not as strong as many other schools. Not every journalism program will offer a focus on some of the areas that might interest you (e.g., magazines). Since the field of publishing is rapidly changing, consider the training a school provides in digital media, too. You also might look for schools that offer a program in “digital humanities” (BTW, coursework in this area is a plus for an English major, whether or not you do a journalism major, too.). I think Wisconsin has a proposed program in this area. Of course, internship opportunities is an important factor to consider as well.</p>