Purdue - Alternate Major

Was just shocked today when I saw that I received the decision that I was not admitted to Purdue for my intended major: Mechanical Engineering. Seemed quite odd to me because i heard a lot of people with lower stats being accepted, so would appreciate any thoughts on this.

SAT: 1410 (780 math, 630 Verbal)
GPA: 3.75 Unweighted
10 AP Classes
Ranked in class at top 20%

Are you saying you were rejected completely for admission to Purdue or admitted but just not given mechanical engineering? If rejected outright, then my condolences and just find a way to move on. If you are saying you were admitted but not to the specific major then, unless something has changed at Purdue, you have no issue, because no one is admitted to the engineering college with a specifc major; all are admitted as undecided engineering because you don’t get to pick majors until after first year.

Seems to me like it is technically accepted but for a different major than what I had requested.

"You’re a good student who has applied to a highly competitive program at Purdue. And although the Admissions Committee cannot offer you admission to First-Year Engineering for Fall 2017, we are pleased to offer you the opportunity to be considered for admission to a different major in a different Purdue college for Fall 2017 or to be waitlisted for your original major in your original college.

To request an alternative major, please log into your Purdue application portal and complete the Alternate Major request form. The form will allow you to select up to three alternative majors in order of your preference; you can learn more about all Purdue majors at purdue.edu/majors.

When completing the form, please select majors in which you are truly interested. If you are admitted, we cannot guarantee you would be able to change from an alternative major into the major you originally requested on your application. Typically, majors that are in very high demand at the admission stage also have limited capacity for enrolled students seeking to change. In addition, admission to any major within an individual college is usually just as competitive as other majors in that college. So do not select a major in the college to which you originally applied.

If you prefer to be added to the waitlist for your original major, log onto your application portal and select the waitlist reply form. Adding yourself to the waitlist is not binding; you will not be required to accept should you be offered admission from the waitlist. However, only those who request to be added will be offered admission from the waitlist if space becomes available. Purdue will make final decisions about fall waitlisted students no later than mid-June 2017.

I appreciate your interest in Purdue and regret we are unable to provide the admission decision you hoped for. If you have any questions about next steps for selecting a different major or adding yourself to the waitlist, please contact the Office of Admissions."

OK, that is telling you that you have not been accepted to the engineering college but can potentially be accepted to a non-engineering major at another of the colleges at Purdue, like the College of Liberal Arts, for which applicants are admitted to specifc majors. Alternatively you can go on waitlist for engineering but you could end up waiting until June 2017 before you find out whether you have been accepted or rejected off wait list. So if you want engineering, you really need to consider other universities at this time, even if you wait list.

Sorry to hear that @Pheonix16
If you truly have a passion for engineering, you should get on the waitlist. But also, make sure you have a couple of backup schools in case something doesn’t work out. Best of luck!