Purdue Chances

I visited Purdue this past week and I’m really interested in applying. I’m scared that I’m below average and that my admission chances are low. Currently, my weighted cumulative GPA is 3.2 however I’m just going to be starting my junior year. I have a plan to raise it to somewhere around a weighted 3.7. I have been taking a few AP classes as well as most honor classes my past two years, and this upcoming year I plan on taking 3 AP classes and working as hard as I possibly can. I also plan on getting around 1400 on the SAT. With that, and a great application that I plan on also working hard on, will I have somewhat of a chance?

Another question too. My weighted GPA freshman year was 3.0. This past year (weighted) it was 3.5. And next year, I plan on it being >4.0. Will they take note of my growth or will my freshman and sophomore year weigh me down? I’ve heard many people say that colleges notice your growth and I hope this is true.

I know this is all hypothetical and I probably have a small chance of getting in the school but I’m really loving Purdue so far and everything it has to offer, and I would love to go to this school. Are there any suggestions anyone has to increase my chances as well? Thanks.

First off, are you instate? Because that would make a huge difference in your chances. I wouldn’t bet on having your GPA jump by almost half a point with one year’s grades added in, considering you don’t seem to be taking a considerably harder courseload this year than the last two, unlike someone who might have not taken APs freshman and sophomore year and then they take 4 their junior year. You fall in the top 25% of SAT scores with your projected 1400 based on Purdue’s Class of ‘21 numbers, so if you can get that 1400, and get your GPA up higher, it seems like a realistic school. Again, this is without looking at ECs or a final grade report though, and the growth you are projecting will not be easy to maintain, so interpret that as you will. GL!

Also, if you need any tips about SAT preparation, feel free to send me a PM.

What are some good ECs for Purdue?

Here is a link to the Purdue Data Digest, here, https://www.purdue.edu/datadigest/, under the link for “Applications, Admits, and Matriculations”. It is interactive, so you can input the parameters that most apply to you. Based on your input, the Data Digest will generate information and create some graphs/charts from which you may be able to make an estimate of your chances. Also, there should be a table at the bottom which gives the admission rates (and yield) for students matriculating in the Fall semesters of the past 10 years. This information may be helpful in assessing your chances for admission.

You can also look at Purdue’s Common Data Set, here, https://www.purdue.edu/oirae/resources.html. Part C7 tells you what admissions factors Purdue considers to be “very important,” “important,” “considered,” and “not considered”; Part C9 of the CDS gives the median 50% for both SAT and ACT scores, as well as the percentage of the entering first-year class falling within certain ranges of SAT and ACT scores.

I don’t know whether your high school has Naviance or any similar program that gives information about how students at your high school have done in applying to colleges and universities; if so, you might peruse that data for applicants to Purdue from your school. I would also try to meet with a guidance counselor at your school early next academic year to discuss application strategies for Purdue; if former students from your school have been admitted to Purdue recently, the guidance counselor may be able to give some insight into how and why such student(s) were successful.