Purdue Civil Engineering chances ... honest answer

<p>Hey guys,</p>

<p>I am a junior in high school and I want to pursue a career as a civil engineer at an excellent engineering school such as Purdue University. </p>

<p>I took the SAT for the first time on December 5th, and although I was slightly disappointed with my scores; I feel as if they were decent for having absolutely no preparation at all.</p>

<p>Here are my stats:</p>

<p>580 Critical Reading
530 Math
570 Writing</p>

<p>GPA - 3.98
Class rank - Top 25% (This is an estimate; I may be higher)</p>

<p>I am in the International Baccalaureate program at my school which is the equivalent of AP classes except for Pre Calc Honors and French 3 Honors. I hope to obtain an IB Diploma at the end of my senior year.</p>

<p>Extra Curricular - I play on the varsity soccer team and I am involved in a few clubs (Not an officer of any club due to soccer). Additionally, I am in the National Honor Society at my school.</p>

<p>I just wanted some honest outside input as to my chances of being admitted into the first year engineering program. </p>

<p>I am taking the ACT in February and plan to get a tutor to help me with the math. Also, I plan to take the SAT at least 2 more times. </p>

<p>Any advice given is greatly appreciated! Thank you!</p>

<p>everything is fine except the sat score. especially get that math up</p>

<p>I second that ^ </p>

<p>Best of luck and finish the year off strong.</p>

<p>ya you def have a very good shot just get those SAt’s up! I made the mistake of taking my SAT’s real late in high school and they ended up being horrible scores!! I am good at math and science its just can’t take big exams for some reason I get anxiety and get really nervous.</p>

<p>i think you can get in as your gpa and class rank are pretty good and it seems most colleges weigh those more than SAT.</p>

<p>Thanks for the advice and input guys,</p>

<p>I am going to take the ACT in February and I am going to get a tutor for the month of January so I can take the test to my maximum potential. Additionally, I plan on taking at least two more SATs, but I have a question as to when I should take them. I was thinking about the June SAT and the first one at the beginning of the school year? Do you think that is a good choice? As for the ACT I am going to see how I do and then hopefully plan on taking it at least 1 more time. I know it is a lot of money for the test-taking, but my parents said they would do it if it means me having a brighter future. Once again, thank you guys; I greatly appreciate it.</p>

<p>I agree with the other posters. My profile looked very similar to yours, I had a 3.8 uw gpa and basically a 3.9 w gpa (my school doesnt really weight like every other school) but anyway just outsid the the top 10% and had comparatively low sats. I think they were around 500 writing 560 reading and low 600 math, however im a legacy but im not sure that gets me much and I got into engineering. So dont give up hope!</p>

<p>Thanks alot guys, it looks like Purdue is going to be my top choice if I continue to pursue the engineering route because I posted the same exact thread on UC Berkeley and Carnegie Mellon and they said there was no chance and at best 50/50.</p>

<p>I am out of state. If that affects anything.</p>