Purdue Class of 2027 Official Thread

College is for 4 years whereas a career (major) is for life.

If it were my child, I would recommend selecting a school that facilitates achieving his career goal.

DS only applied to schools that were reputable for his major and where possible didn’t even select a second major. If not accepted for his major then that’s not the school for him. Too many good schools to limit yourself.

4 Likes

Not grendyrc but my D is returning from PFM this weekend. It was very well run, and my D is excited about many aspects of Purdue!

1 Like

We went yesterday. It was great! There’s an app called “Purdue Guide”. If you install it you can load up a PFM guide and personalize your schedule. We found it helpful, but they also give you a detailed printed schedule. The printed schedule had a couple afternoon sessions that weren’t listed on the app.

The beginning sessions were pretty crowded but then people dispersed widely to different activities. I logged 9.5 miles even though I’ve previously explored the campus. We did engineering-specific tour, general campus tour, and residence hall tour. Also wandered for some other stuff.

Lunch rush seemed to be after classes got out ~12:30 but wasn’t too bad where we ate. Dinner rush started ~6.

If you want swag, the campus bookstore by the parking garage is cheaper than the “team store” in the union where most of the sessions are held, but they each have some different stuff. Hope you enjoy your visit!

4 Likes

On the final release date in the past there have been accept, decline, and waitlist decisions.

2 Likes

We attended a session on 3/20,
We were very impressed. Well organized event, but be ready for a full day of information (and walking). I think we went from 8 to 4 pretty much non-stop except for lunch. You will get a good sense of Purdue for sure. Grab a burger or breakfast at ‘XXX diner’ if you have time.

My husband sent a selfie with his XXX Diner root beet lol.

1 Like

Very True. My daughter applied to just 8 schools to the program that she would love to join. Not picking a school over the program and career interests. Undegrad school is just 4 years. While a career last 30+ years and need to have the passion to keep moving forward by the year.

1 Like

I applied RD for FYE and still haven’t gotten any decision back. Does that likely mean I’ve been rejected? Cause Purdue is still my number 1 choice

3 Likes

Reposting here at @ColdWombat’s request: New Undergrad Students | Purdue University Residences

Note that the website shows a 5/5 date for priority housing which is different than what I’ve been hearing all year (which was mid April). I’d recommend emailing housing directly with questions.

There is also very good information in the FAQ section of the housing website.

1 Like

I think it’s accurate. They JUST changed that. We were at an accepted student day on Friday and they repeated the 4/15 date a zillion times.

Here’s what’s showing up in my son’s portal right now.

EDITED TO ADD: have confirmed with Purdue that priority deadline is still 4/15

2 Likes

That looks like a deadline for housing, not the priority deadline?

There used to be language around the priority deadline along with the 4/15 date, but I can’t find it anywhere anymore.

That said, I wouldn’t feel comfortable without confirming directly with housing.

1 Like

I’ll call and ask. The link from @momofboiler1 does have language that says “new student housing application priority deadline of May 5, 2023”

1 Like

Let us know what you find out. D’s portal still says:

To increase your likelihood of receiving on-campus housing, you should submit your University Residences housing contract by the April 15 Priority Housing deadline .

But I notice the honors college now says ‘strongly recommended’ for Apr 15, not required.

I sent a note to housing as well. I’ll report back when I get a response.

1 Like

same situation here. I think we are not accepted but are in the hunt for a waitlist option… Lets hope that’s not the case

Already heard back from housing:

Priority deadline to receive a central campus location is April 15. The housing portal will remain open for student until May 5. Applications received after April 15, 2023, and before May 5, 2023, may not be assigned to an on campus residence but may be assigned to an University Residences Boiler Apartment for the academic year. Any student who signs before May 5 is guaranteed housing.

@ColdWombat @divarose

1 Like

Same here. April 15 is indeed the priority deadline and they recommend accepting enrollment no later that April 13 to allow the housing portal time to become available.

That messaging was a bit confusing!

1 Like

What happens if you don’t decide by “priority” deadline?

You’re still guaranteed Purdue housing if you apply between April 16 - May 5. It just might not be traditional housing on the campus. It could be in a Purdue-owned or leased building off campus (but not super far away). If you don’t apply by May 5, you’ll have to find your own housing.

2 Likes