Purdue Class of 2027 Official Thread

@ColdWombat thank you!! Purdue just became an option so we are scrambling to learn what we can.

1 Like

Congrats! I will also add that students should accept the admit by April 13 and apply for housing by April 15 if they want to be considered for a living Learning Community. Those have come highly recommended to us from students we know there.

I think my kid is leaning towards EPICS and/or Engineering Band (if he decides on Purdue).

https://www.purdue.edu/learningcommunities/profiles/index.html

2 Likes

Congratulations!ā€¦Did your son receive his acceptance just now?

No. Sorry. He heard last Friday night, I think. We were assuming since he hadnā€™t yet heard that he would be denied so he was pleasantly surprised.

4 Likes

If you think you are likely to attend Purdue, you want to sign up for housing NLT 4/13. I think it was around 200 at risk if you end up not enrolling by 5/5. The kids who are not in priority end up in storage rooms or 8 to a room conference rooms until regular spots open up later in the year. Purdue has become very popular and they are struggling with space though if you watch the priority deadlines and future year intention deadlines they do seem to get everyone into housing - maybe not preferred option but something.

1 Like

On our visit day, they spun it as a positive. ā€œ8 dudes in one Dormā€ is apparently a thing on ticktok now lol. These guys ended up staying in this location by choice once space opened up, I think.

1 Like

Oh it is a thing for sure and my sonā€™s friend group is living in it next year (I think they made more of them) but itā€™s not for everyone if you know what I mean.

Well, they arenā€™t going to be lonely or struggling to meet people lol. And I imagine it is pretty inexpensive!

I know others have responded but I want to echoā€”Do not miss the April 15th housing deadline and do not wait until April 15th to respond!! Purdue designated several dorms for freshmen only for the upcoming year and your studentā€™s chance to be on campus and in something affordable is to make that deadline. The master lease apartments are more expensive than the dorms in addition to being off campus. If you arenā€™t sure yet/waiting on other schools and can afford to lose the deposit, make the deposit at Purdue.

4 Likes

For the Purdueā€™s For Me visitorsā€“In addition to the bookstore by the garage and the Team Shop in Stewart, check out Discount Den on Stadium Ave at Northwestern Ave. (northern end of campus across the street from McDonalds and on the same block as Dominoā€™s, Circle K and the poke place.) Tons of T shirts, sweatshirts, stickers, a few hats, etc. Thereā€™s a Follettā€™s just north of Circle K on Northwestern (and a satellite University Bookstore in the Fuse apartment building on Northwestern.) Also check out the main Follettā€™s bookstore on State Street/Daniels Drive, which is in the Aspire apartment complex on the southern end of campus. Good stuffā€“and wide price range. Lots of home goods, higher-end brands, kids sizes, Purdue notebooks and folders, etc. You will also find Purdue clothing and accessories at the West Lafayette Meijer and Walmart. Always fun to bring home a T-shirt.

1 Like

It does not.

2 Likes

My sonā€™s EA was deferred and he was admitted last week. We plan to attend a ā€œdaily visitā€ session but the earliest available date is in the week of 4/17, which already passes the 4/15 housing application priority date. Purdue is one of our top choices but havenā€™t really decide yet, should we put $500 at risk to accept the admission offer first and then apply for housing before 4/15?

Can you give us more context about the situation? What other schools is he thinking about?

If heā€™s already leaning toward Purdue, I donā€™t think youā€™ll be disappointed in the visit. But who knows?

The deposit money is in the range for us that I personally would deposit and be fine with eating it if my kid decided on a different school between 4/15 and 5/1. But since weā€™ve visited (twice!), we are going to tell our kid that he needs to decide by 4/13 (the date that Purdue tells you to make enrollment deposit to be safe). If something wild happens between 4/13 and 5/1 to change his mind, for us itā€™s a small price to pay for such an important decision.

Only you can decide what the risk is worth to you given your familyā€™s finances and your sonā€™s decision process.

Thanks @ColdWombat and I agreed. We probably will pay the enrollment deposit, apply for housing and then visit the school.

Another school my son is considering just asks $50 for housing application. I hope Purdue can do the same because there isnā€™t much opportunity for RD students to visit the campus before 4/15.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure, but I think Purdueā€™s housing deposit is $200. So that would be $500 enrollment + $200 housing that is non-refundable should he decide to cancel. For us, big enough that our son is making the decision before we deposit. But not big enough that weā€™d be angry if he changed his mind. If he hadnā€™t visited yet, weā€™d tell him not to worry about the $. You can make a similar or different decision based on your own finances and peace of mind.

Also, if travel isnā€™t too tricky, you could keep checking the visit days for cancellations. Iā€™d guess that openings pop up here and there.

2 Likes

Itā€™s just 500 because 200 of the enrollment deposit will be used for housing application. I did see some visit day cancellations but they were filled up quickly. We are OOS and the air travel is a bit tricky.

Oh great, good to know. Better than $700. I hope the timing works out for you and that your son enjoys the visit.

1 Like

If you want guaranteed housing, you must deposit by 4/15. I donā€™t think there is going to much chance of coming off any housing waitlist this year if you deposit after 4/15. Purdue has taken measures to ensure there is room for freshmen, but demand remains high.

1 Like

Does anyone know when Purdue RD admissions will be released?

Tomorrow 3/31 should be the last batch

2 Likes