Purdue computer science

<p>Hello I was just accepted into purdue computer science i wanted to know if it is a strong program there</p>

<p>It has a good reputation.</p>

<p>good school, better CS. you done good.</p>

<p>I also got into Purdue CS yesterday, congrats! </p>

<p>First off, Purdue is known as one of the best (top 10 most likely, top 15 at the very least) engineering schools in the nation, and that definitely trickles into the rest of their technical and quantitative majors like CS, math, physics. They are also known to be a very difficult school, it has broad acceptance (60% or so) but most of its majors are still well regarded because they are hard and give you an amazing educational foundation in whatever you’re studying. </p>

<p>All of this applies to Computer Science like this: it’s difficult, but it’s incredibly thorough and you will learn everything you’d learn at a school like Carnegie Mellon or Standford CS. If you’re motivated and you do well in Purdue’s CS program, you’ll see ample employment opportunities and great prospects for grad school. </p>

<p>Thanks man! congrats on pudue too! I was so stoked when i found out</p>

<p>When you guys say you were accepted to CS, what exactly do you mean? When we toured the CS department, they told us there was no separate acceptance requirement - that if you were accepted to the university you would be accepted into the School of Science automatically. Or are you talking specifically about CIT in the School of Technology?</p>

<p>how is computer information technology at purdue? </p>

<p>I applied for the cs major in the school of science</p>

<p>@conn88h‌ </p>

<p>I simply mean that I was accepted both into Purdue and into the College of Science for their Computer Science major. I think they maintain a “one door” policy where students aren’t judged solely on their preferred major and other students who applied to the same major, but some who apply (such as a friend of mine who was granted admission into any major but Chemical Engineering, the one he applied for) are denied their first choice due to a number of factors. </p>

<p>With that said, I don’t think undergraduate Computer Science at Purdue is nearly as competitive as its engineering Majors, but it is certainly harder to get into than some of its humanities programs. </p>

<p>Edit: to be clear, what they were telling you is true! I didn’t have to fill out any extra forms or meet a higher academic standard to get into the College of Science and the CS major, and any student who applied undecided would most likely have no issue transferring into the CS major. I think it is mostly just to give students the guarantee or their major, let that particular college/major get a good idea of its enrollment before the semester starts, and to make sure that a program doesn’t get overfilled (like my buddy who got cut from ChemE but can go for any other major) </p>

<p>Upon further review, my son’s acceptance letter (that came in the mail today) does specifically mention acceptance into CS (School of Science). I hadn’t remembered doing it, but we must have ticked that box somewhere along the way during the application process.</p>

<p>Anyway - he is in (hooray!). Congrats to the other accepted CS students as well.</p>

<p>@conn88h awesome! Glad it’s all figured out. If you selected a “major of interest” or something similar on the common application, that’s what it was :)</p>

<p>I got in Purdue Cs Too</p>

<p>How is the course rigor ? think it would be less than that of engineering but still any insight into that</p>

<p>Why does Purdue have low 4 year graduation rate? Is it only for engineering or also for CS!!</p>

<p>@Christophernolan‌ </p>

<p>I believe it is quite rigorous, Purdue is one of the hardest schools (gives out a low amount of A’s, difficult math classes) so any quantitative/science major should be rigorous but good. </p>

<p>As for graduation rate, someone on another thread said that it is due to both he difficulty of classes and the awesome co-op program. Many students retake at least 1-2 classes and may have to take a 5th semester, and many students enjoy the money and work experience of a co-op program! I’d say the grad rate is fine, it’s either people who truly need to study harder/focus more that take extra time, or people getting the benefits of a 5 year co-op program. </p>

Hello everyone! What was everyone’s Act/Sat scores and GPA’s to get in the CS program at Purdue?

Accepted College of Science - Computer Science
ACT: 34 (36 Sci, 35 Read, 34 Mat, 32 Eng)
SAT: 2230 (800 CR, 780 Math, 650 Writing)
GPA: 3.7 UW / 4.3 W

Graduation rates for the college of science last year were 41% four year, and 70% six year. As you can see, there is a big jump between 4 and 6 year rates. I believe this is mostly due to co-ops/internships that delay graduation. It is not the best graduation rate among comparable colleges, but the grad and retention rates have been steadily improving for the past few years. This is a good sign. Purdue has recently been paying attention to improving those stats and has put programs in place to help with student success. I think those rates will improve over the next four years. You can see all the data here:

http://www.purdue.edu/enrollmentmanagement/researchanddata/gradretentionrates.html

For those that will or may accept, are you planning on joining a learning community for CS?

I went to the February 23rd Purdue’s For Me day and I met with the computer science department. Their department is corporate partners with big name companies like Google, Microsoft, IBM, Lockheed Martin, etc. and they recruit at Purdue for internships and co-ops. The program seems quite rigorous and very well respected throughout the nation. I was accepted into their computer science program. My stats:
SAT: 1880 (580 CR, 680 Math, 620 Writing)
GPA: 3.4 UW/ 4.7 W (6.0 scale)

I got accepted EA to purdue CS with
SAT:2180 (730MATH, 740CR, 710WRITING)
GPA:3.5UW/4.4W (6.0 Scale)
I’ll be doing the AI Track (if that matters)