Purdue CS Waitlist vs Computer Engineering RD

I had already sent them an email recently (on a completely different topic), so instead, I am trying to source responses from the forum instead.

I’m thinking of transitioning from my Early Action Waitlist for CS to Computer Engineering since I have literally no chance of being taken out of the CS Waitlist.

However, in 9th grade, I had a trimester of Chemistry and in 10th grade a semester of Chemistry. Which is basically 1.6 semesters of Chemistry and that doesn’t go well with the statement: “For engineering 2 science semesters must be chemistry.” https://www.admissions.purdue.edu/apply/highschoolcourses.php

Firstly am I even allowed to transition from CS waitlist to Computer Engineering RD? (I’m doing this because I’m assuming I’ll have no chance in CS waitlist, but possibly a better chance in Computer Engineering (since maybe an applicant who gets waitlisted for CS is the same in academic-strength as an applicant who gets in for CE)… am I wrong here?)

Secondly, I don’t know if they allow bending of the rules for me to apply for CE if I “technically” don’t meet the requirement… 1.6 ≠ 2 semesters
However, I would plan to offer my time to do some sort of online class to get that semester of Chemistry before my senior year ends and I graduate… is that even permissible??

Did you attend two separate high schools, one on the semester plan and one on trimesters? Is that how you ended up with the odd number?

My instinct is that in a competitive major such as CS, Purdue is not going to let the requirements slide, but changing high schools does complicate things. I also don’t think computer engineering is going to be any easier to get into than CS.

Purdue has a very helpful admissions staff, though, so you should give them a call, even if you have already initiated contact for another question. Alternately, your guidance counselor could make the call for you if she/he is willing.

Are you in-state for Purdue?

@Groundwork2022

1. Same high school... it's just that the "trimester" was part of a year-long integrated science class
  2. OOS International

CS does NOT have the same requirements as Engineering (you DON’T need 2 semesters of chemistry…you can take however many semesters you want), so I don’t get what you mean by “My instinct is that in a competitive major such as CS, Purdue is not going to let the requirements slide”

Surprised they won’t allow me to make up credits through some online program, through last semester of my school, or later in college…

If both are equally competitive I just have a question. I have O.K Math grades, but stellar Physics grades and was worried that since I’m applying CS they don’t view Physics as favorably as if I was a possible CE student… I mean Physics is basically “Applied Mathematics” and I’m hoping it will uphold my CS grades…

You have nothing to lose by asking but understand that Purdue fills most of the class in EA so there probably are not many slots left for engineering.

Your math grades will be important as well.

“Applied Mathematics” and I’m hoping it will uphold my *MATH grades… (not CS I meant Math)

@momofsenior1 Then how do people in regular decision get in?

So should I just stay on CS waitlist? Any chance of being moved out of it if I show demonstrated interest and I do have some very strong mid-year grades that I will be sending… with an A in honors math!

I mean if 1.6 ≠ 2… it all depends on how strict they are… right now it seems you both are saying their class is almost filled up and they may be strict… so just sticking with CS waitlist seems the best choice?

How about trying to go for Data Science major? Any chance in that?

Call admissions and ask them. We would be guessing which would give you the best chance of acceptance. I would bet admissions will be forth coming. If you get a student on the phone, ask to speak with one of the admissions folks.

I agree with the previous posts. Call/email admission and show your enthusiasm that Purdue is your first choice may help too. Best of luck!