Purdue data science program

Hello,
My son made into Purdue data science program and we would like to get more information about this program.Is it a hard program for someone who has never done programming before?My son has never taken programming classes. Is it fast paced?
Thanks

My son is accepted as well. We were told they do not need programming experience. I think there is an intensive workshop this summer. I cannot remember the details but the recruiter definitely put us at ease as I was very concerned about his lack of coding classes.

@gobuemom can you please give the details about the summer workshop and how you found out about it? Are you in state or OOS for Purdue?

We are out of state. I vaguely remember the recruiter addressing my concerns about my sons lack of coding experience. I suggest you call the admissions offfice, I’m sure they could give you more specifics.

our son accedpted to in Data Sci, in admission letter is says “Data Science (First Year)”, what does in your letters says? Not sure what first year means.

Can people post what your kids stats were for Data Science?

OOS Illinois
3.7 UW. 33 ACT.

Double Legacy
Freshman at Purdue 3.6 first semester!

I know a little bit about data science, but not much about Purdue other than what I read online.

The curriculum appears to be designed for someone with no programming experience. But I’m sure having some experience will help the classes go smoother.

Python is likely the language that will ultimately be used for data science. But Java is a common language for beginners to learn. For either of these, there are tons of free resources online to learn.

One of the more difficult concepts for beginners to learn is recursion. If an incoming student were to have some basic programming with exposure to recursion, even if self-taught, I wouldn’t worry too much.

For an inexperienced student, I might worry more about whether he / she will like the programming aspect than if they will be able to stay afloat on the program.