Purdue Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

I am with you on this. It seems like not everyone received a hand written note so I am at least hopeful :slightly_smiling_face:. She had applied for public health as her first choice. How about your D? My D reached out to the current student who wrote the note and she was super friendly and helpful. Good luck to you and your D!

1 Like

No handwritten note for my DS who applied for Comp Engineering and Game Design Tech as second choice.

2 Likes

I think it could be a departmental (both of our D’s applied to HHS) thing therefore i would not be too worried.

2 Likes

Our high school conducted SAT in March 2021. So, it was easy for me to take the test

2 Likes

My D applied for Medical Laboratory Science. How nice that your D got connected to a current student!! I don’t want to cause any extra anxiety to my D, so we’ll just quietly wait until Jan 15th. Best wishes to you and your D!! Hope we both can say ‘Boiler up!!’ with big smiles. :crossed_fingers:

Same here for my OOS CompE hopeful.

So it appears the SAT is favored over the ACT.
My sons stats
32 ACT, superscore is a 34
3.75 UW
4.25 W
Varsity wrestling and other activities in school.

Will it hurt him taking the ACT over the SAT?

Purdue is his top school and is looking at chemical engineering. We are oos.
Any thoughts on his stats? Or SAT versus ACT?

I don’t think SAT is favored over ACT at all. Just more students seem to sit for the SAT nation wide but Purdue will take whichever score you have. My D is a current chem E at Purdue, and never took the SAT.

2 Likes

Thanks for chiming in. Congrats to your daughter. You must be proud. Purdue is an awesome school and we pray and hope he is accepted.

I believe students in Indiana favor the SAT which could be why more take it, but I don’t think it matters if you submit SAT or ACT score.

3 Likes

Thanks! I appreciate the input

GPA is way different from different schools, different classes and even different teachers. Plus a lot students just played the GPA games by taking many many AP without any EC. It is stupid to have the standard test optional.

2 Likes

Based on USNWR Purdue is #10 for engineering, and #8 for MechE, ahead of extremely selective schools like CMU, Cornell, Northwestern, Columbia, Duke, Princeton, etc. Not bad for a state school in flyover country.

5 Likes

More important than rankings, they have an amazingly great hands on program that starts and ends with engineering design work, state of the art facilities, approachable and engaged profs, and a well supported coop program. Engineering is the heart of the school with the engineering mall the center or campus. For a kid who knows they want to study engineering Purdue is a great choice.

9 Likes

momofboiler, Our son, J, is looking forward to hearing from Purdue later this month for MechE.

I probably told this tale in another thread, but when J and I did our outlaw tour of Purdue after the Engineering Information session, we looking at a map in the engineering/science quad and obviously lost. An older gentleman in a t-shirt and shorts stopped and offered to help. It turned out that he was the No 2 at the CivE department. He spent around 20 minutes answering questions about Purdue and other programs to which J planned to apply. He could not have been more helpful, professional and welcoming. If he is representative of the professors at Purdue, that speaks very highly for the school.

10 Likes

Does anyone have the insight of Polytechnic Institute CGT Game Development and Design major? Is there any coop or internship program available for this major? Thanks!

2 Likes

Fantastic engineering program (we have friends with students there), and in top 3 on our son’s list. Expecting good news next week.

Housing issues and the recent airline industry travel problems concern us greatly, though.

1 Like

My D22 applied for Polytechnic Cybersecurity program. She is 4.0/36 student, but we are OOS, so I am slightly nervous :grimacing:. We visited 8 schools and while all the schools had something to offer (and we will seriously consider all 5 remaining on the list, if accepted) - Purdue felt like home for some reason the moment we stepped foot on campus. We will be heartbroken if she doesn’t get in. We visited it twice already and second time felt even better. January 15 cannot come any sooner…

3 Likes

Yes, co-ops and internships are available for that major. The next career fair is coming up. The big career fair though is in September but this should give you an idea of what companies are hiring.

PURDUE POLYTECHNIC INSTITUTE IN-PERSON CAREER FAIR | February 2, 2022 | MORE INFO | EMPLOYER REGISTRATIONis now open

The Purdue Polytechnic Career Fair fills the France A. Cordova Recreational Sports Center with more than 800 tech-savvy students and nearly 70 companies seeking to fill internship, co-op, and full-time positions. For more information, visit polytechnic.purdue.edu/career-fair.

2 Likes

Great information. Thanks a lot!