Purdue Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

Well, the 144k could end up being debt. That’s a monstrosity concerning interest that it will be far more than 144k at the end of the day.

Also, Purdue won’t really give financial aid unless someone is in state.

2 Likes

There are ways to pay without going into so much debt. Part time jobs, coops, private scholarships. No need to have that much debt. My parents are paying half also.

Just wondering if anyone has any more information about the Stamps scholarship? Google is surprisingly unhelpful in regards to how they are reviewed etc.

Well, pay the extra 144k then if that’s what you want. If you can cut it down then it is not as bad, but interest still racks up over time so I would keep that in mind. 72k is still a large debt. I’m debt averse so I would never fathom doing that, but our culture seems to be promoting debt so if that’s what you want then go do it. I wouldn’t take the debt lightly though. A lot of people dig themselves in holes.

Co-ops you probably won’t graduate in 4 years, is that something you are willing to do?
Private scholarships––most of the 10k - bigger ones are done and over with. Depending on where you live, you can certainly get $$$, as a lot of them are location specific. Where I live, there’s barely anything I can apply for. Majority have a financial need component or they’re specific about being related to an employee of a company or having something like diabetes…random stuff like that. And they will be like long applications for only $500 max, non-renewable. My location might just be extremely unlucky though, so perhaps you have more opportunities.

You could have a part time job and additionally be something like an RA. Do you want to spend all of your college days working a job and doing schoolwork though? Just something to keep in mind. You’ll miss out on a lot of social aspects of college if you’re so busy working and could burn out.

Just my two cents, if you want to continue this we can talk over PM because it’s irrelevant to this thread.

Unfortunately I haven’t done much research about Larsen, but it must be pretty darn good. If I had to guess, I think it’s like a business honors thing because they have more access to different classes and opportunities. It sounds like it’s a good deal to be a part of, though. I also just got into Kelley at IU and will most likely go there.

1 Like

After tax, the 2M ends up little north of 1M. On the other hand, future value of 144K could well exceed 1M over one’s career time

that is if you look at ROI alone

Just want to note that you only pay for 4 years (8 semesters) if you co-op. It’s just spread out over 5 or 6 years depending on if you do a 3 or 5 term co-op, but the costs don’t change and you earn a good amount of money in the process.

2 Likes

That’s true, but I meant in terms of timing. You’ll graduate 1 year later than your peers typically. I wouldn’t want to do that personally, but it totally depends on the person. In terms of a financial perspective it could be better, so I follow what you’re saying/

My D agonized with the decision to do a co-op and not graduate with her friends. In the end, it was an offer she felt she couldn’t pass up. She just finished her last co-op rotation and returned to campus. I will be honest that she was nervous about getting back into the swing of studying and courses, but it’s been a very smooth transition. She also has plenty of friends in her classes and told me last week that more friends then she realized will still be on campus next year. Not only other co-op students, but also friends who switched majors, or went abroad. It’s turned into a non issue.

3 Likes

Is there a way to send a private message on here? I would like to ask you a question outside of this public forum.

BIL did Coop when he was at GTech. He highly recommends it for a variety of reasons. Purdue’s is one of the best, apparently.

1 Like

I just private messaged you @3ringCircus

1 Like

Glad it worked out for her. Just to clarify (I think you followed what I was saying though earlier), I do not think co-ops are an absolute waste or anything like that. Just something that should be weighed on all sides and definitely varies depending on the person––I don’t think it’s the right fit for everyone.

1 Like

Has anyone received a physical Welcome letter from Purdue?

I have not.

1 Like

Good luck to all making a decision of where to attend. You are blessed to have amazing educational acceptances and offers. There is so much to consider, and each person has different circumstances, concerns, dreams, etc.

As a mom of three with one in college, one receiving his acceptances now, one yet to come, and also a mom who advises and assists other kiddos on their college search, I want to encourage you to spreadsheet your options to see how they compare, BUT also to have honest conversations with your parents about what lies ahead. You may be new to this, and they may be, too.

There is no right answer, there is no perfect educational path, either. You may go forth to the school of your dreams, majoring in what you want and it not be what you complete. Take a deep breath. Appreciate your prospects. Think them over. Make YOUR choice.

PURDUE is a top-notch school and YOU being accepted is a great thing. Take this moment just to be proud of yourself.

22 Likes

Yep I’ll!

Continuing the discussion from Purdue Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission:

1000th comment

How does Purdue calculate EAI for FYE if you already have all the FYE courses except Eng 161 and 162? My AP classes cover the rest of the courses.