Purdue Engineering - Advice on Selecting Major

Hi,

What Purdue engineering majors have the highest acceptance rates?

My child is deciding between Industrial and Materials.

I looked at the data set, but it says I need a login to see any detail by major.

Thanks.

Pretty sure Industrial and Material do not generally have capacity issues, unlike Biomedical, Aeronautical and others. Therefore, pretty sure your child only needs a 2.0. My son is an Industrial Engineering major at Purdue and LOVES it! Last I checked it was #3 in the country for IE. All engineering programs at Purdue are a lot of work, but the school DOES want kids to succeed and almost all get their first choice major. IMHO do NOT stress about getting into a specific engineering major unless you really feel your child is going to goof off and wants one of the majors with capacity limits. They also let you retake a class and drop the lower grade if you need to increase your gpa.

Neither IE or Materials is at capacity. As stated above, your child should be able to transition to either major with a 2.0.

I also totally agree that Purdue does want their students to succeed. There is so much support- free help/tutoring, review sessions, practice exams, office hours etc…

The at capacity majors are BME, Aero, ME, and sometimes Chem E (it wasn’t last year but historically has been).

Is your child a current student? Academic counselor should be able to provide guidance on 2nd year transition to major, based on GPA. I don’t believe the information is published, certainly not in the Data Digest. This is what the above answers are referring to.

Or are you asking about an initial application? All engineering students are accepted into First Year Engineering, so there is no acceptance rate by major. It may ask for your intended major, but it has no impact on admissions and isn’t at all binding when students need to select their major near the end of freshman year.

Thanks! This is for admissions, not for an existing student. Thanks for all of your help!

All applicants apply to First Year Engineering (FYE). It’s a common curriculum for all students. After completing, students apply to their major (T2M). As stated above neither Materials nor Industrial Engineering are at capacity so a 2.0 GPA in the FYE program should get him into either.

So, I totally misunderstood your question. Thought you had a current FYE trying to go through T2M. I don’t believe (but you can check with admissions) that they consider what particular major/interest area you indicate on your application when deciding who to admit to FYE.