Purdue Financial Aid

Hi! I’m a high school senior who just got accepted to Purdue class of 2024. I am really happy, and I definitely think that it will be one of my top choices. BTW, I am an out of state applicant.

However, I have an issue. I wasn’t able to apply by the scholarship deadline because I didn’t know about it until around December. It’s one of my biggest regrets because I heard that Purdue is pretty generous with scholarships as long as you apply for them. Right now, the cost of attendance is around $40,000, and this is just too much for my family to pay. I’ve searched on their website, and it seems like all of the scholarship deadlines have passed, so now I am thinking about what other ways I can deal with this situation.

I am thinking about calling or emailing (Would calling be a better choice?) the financial aid office and requesting a better package. I know this probably won’t help me, but I have heard that some people receive some money as long as they ask for it.

I am also wondering if I should wait until all my decisions are out, and if I do decide on Purdue, then I should ask the financial aid office. I’m just not sure if doing it earlier would give me a better chance. But the pro of waiting until I am more certain about going to Purdue is that I can use my other acceptances as leverage.

Do you guys have any advice? Are there other scholarships out there for Purdue? And has anyone previously asked Purdue for more money, and what was the end result?

How much are you short? Do you have other options?

I don’t think there is all that much merit for OOS students at Purdue, even for students who did meet the Dec deadline.

What is your major? Some majors have the opportunity to do co-ops, which brings in $.

There may also be some relatively small departmental scholarships, @momofsenior1?

Mwfan is correct that awards for OOS applicants are very hard to come by even if you had applied by the deadline. There are some very small departmental awards but not for engineering.

Purdue will not negotiate merit awards. Not sure about need based aid but I’d be surprised if they would for an OOS applicant.

My major is biomedical engineering, so I probably won’t get any departmental scholarships. Someone in my town applied to their pharmacy program and received a lot of money, so I had thought that they were pretty generous with OOS applicants.

To reply to Eeyore123, I would like to decrease that 40,000 to 25,000. I know this is a stretch, but otherwise, I probably will not be able to go. My dad works at Boston University, so my parents would prefer I go there if I get in to get the discounted tuition. If Purdue isn’t cheap enough compared to BU, it’s just not worth it then.

@Haileyshi41 It’s not easy to reduce from $40K to $25K. You can try but I am not positive that Purdue can reduce that much. BU is a good university and if you can pay $25K for the annual cost, I will suggest you take that. No debt after college graduation is good.

I emailed Purdue asking if they match other similar school scholarships as my daughter received $20K merit scholarship from similar school and nothing from Purdue and their response was to reach out to National Guard as they may pay for the tuition if you join them :slight_smile: No kidding this was the response I got from their financial department. I think that is a great option if you qualify, but not for everyone.

I applied regular decision and got my acceptance today! When will I receive my aid package? Should I have received it right away?