Purdue/Georgia tech/Rose Hulman

<p>I need your help to decide between these 3. I know that Purdue and G.Tech are well known engineering universities. I also know that RHIT is not so well known outside of Indiana although its ranked as no.1 in undergraduate engineering in US news for special schools.</p>

<p>Please could you share your experiences?</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>do u live in indiana? if so, i would pick purdue cause of instate tuiton. but personally gtech i think is a better engineering school. rosehulman ive heard of it dont know much about it so cant help u there</p>

<p>May depend on your level of intensity as a student. My S decided at the last moment not to apply to GT, even tho it's instate for us. GT is known as a weed-out school and it is a VERY intense program. I'm sure engineering is tough anywhere, but when a school flunks out 1/3 of its freshman class, as I've heard, that's really rough.</p>

<p>RH is a very small school, but I've met some of them and they are very, very intelligent.
As of now, I'd say RH>GT>Purdue.
RH is not quite as well known, but it is a ridiculously good school, only drawback from GT and Purdue is that it doesn't give you that big school feeling. Unlike Purdue, Alumni relations are limited at RH. I doubt that GT can top Purdue's alumni group.
The big thing that Purdue has with engineering is the ability to attract big companies and has a very strong alumni base.
All in all, all three are good engineering schools. The real question now is: Do you want that small, intimate school setting, or the big lecture hall, and football game feel?</p>

<p>From what I have heard from my seniors who are in GT and Purdue, </p>

<p>Academics - GT > Purdue</p>

<p>Social Life - Purdue >>>> GT</p>

<p>Experince - GT = Purdue</p>

<p>City Life - Atlant >>> West Lafayette </p>

<p>Even i might have to decide between the two and i feel Purdue is a better OVERALL UNIVERSITY. But it is upto each and every individual</p>

<p>What about the comparison of graduate retention rates, not freshman retention rates. Somebody suggested I look into Asee.org. I am not able to get that. My concern is about the weed out classes. Engineering demands a lot of hard work. Thats fine. But I want to know which university is better in terms of provising support and make the students come out succesfully. Thats very important. Thats the only aspect I am now struggling with and not able to get answers from CC.
Thanks.</p>

<p>my son was deciding between RH and Purdue. We went to visit and I think he went thinking he would love RH. Purdue did a great orientation and the one thing that stuck with us is- you can make a big school small but you can't make a small school big. the more he spent that day at Purdue, the more you could watch his wheels turn that he liked it. We went to RH next- the classes were all in one large building, a bell rang for the end of classes and there was one big cafeteria to eat in- he felt like it was high school once again. He had a great time with his host- had a lot of fun being there and got in the car saying it was too small. He still couldn't commit orally but his thoughts going there and coming home were opposite. He's now a freshman at Purdue, and although I wish his classes were smaller in size, he loves it and couldn't imagine any other school to be at. He now has the full wardrobe of Purdue clothes!</p>

<p>......Experience - GT = Purdue.......</p>

<p>I'm hard pressed to find the "experience" of any school which crushes 1/3 of their highly talented matriculates is a positive one. Crushing 1/3 of the best and brightest is not in our nation's best interest. DO NOT APPLY TO SCHOOLS WITH LOW FRESHMAN TO SOPHOMORE RETENTION RATES.</p>

<p>How to find this info?</p>

<p>go to <a href="http://www.profiles.asee.org%5B/url%5D"&gt;www.profiles.asee.org&lt;/a> (or profiles dot asee dot org) select the school and then look under class enrollment tab at the left. They have data by year, by major and by demographic group. The American Society of Engineering Education provides wonderful information.</p>

<p>I visited RHIT and Purdue.</p>

<p>RHIT: The best academic student support I have seen. Top-notch experiential learning. If you put in the work, you will learn and you will graduate. Engineers know about the school, even if the rest of the population doesn't. However, it is awfully small and mostly guys.</p>

<p>Purdue: One of the most impressive overall engineering programs that I have researched. You have to be engaged and proactive, but I haven't seen better opportunities. The people that run the place are world-class and have their heads in the right place. If you can get in-state tuition, this would be hard to be. They are not that selective for admission, but who cares?</p>

<p>Ga-Tech: Did not research because the school is in an urban area and the campus is indistinguishable from the city. IMHO, it looks like an awesome place to do grad school. I have heard only good things from returning students.</p>