Purdue looks at unweighted grades?

<p>I've been hearing that when Purdue looks at your grades they look at unweighted gpa and your core classes only? Is it true? Cuz...that might be a problem.</p>

<p>Yes, they do. It’s unfortunate for the kids in honors classes who have a weighted GPA (My D is one of them), because it’s for scholarship eligibility too!</p>

<p>I’m sorry for ur D, I’m glad I didn’t take any honors. But this isn’t good for me, I was deferred and I have only two core classes in which I got a B- in college finite and B+ in english</p>

<p>Would purdue look at my business class (since I applied to krannert)? If so I got a A- in Marketing 3 eh…</p>

<p><<yes, they=“” do.=“” it’s=“” unfortunate=“” for=“” the=“” kids=“” in=“” honors=“” classes=“” who=“” have=“” a=“” weighted=“” gpa=“” (my=“” d=“” is=“” one=“” of=“” them),=“” because=“” scholarship=“” eligibility=“” too!=“”>></yes,></p>

<p>Interesting…so my younger son, who is in mainly regular with just a few honors classes and has pretty much straight A’s, would probably “look better” than my older son who has taken a lot of honors/AP classes with a mix of A’s and B’s. Weird!</p>

<p>While your GPA might look better if you avoid the honors and AP classes, since they look at the rigor of your coursework compared to what was available to be taken at the HS, your higher GPA will be somewhat mitigated by the less rigorous courses that you took. It’s not about trying to get the highest GPA by taking easy classes, it about challenging yourself by taking the tough courses and succeeding. GPA is a very important factor in the overall application review, but so is the HS profile of the school where all the available courses are listed.</p>

<p>I hope Purdue thinks like ^^ cuz that might play in my favor.</p>

<p>depends on how bad your grades are in those classes. like a c in ap is worse than an a in regular. they only look at rigor for your admission decision, but for scholarships it’s purely gpa and standardized tests</p>

<p>Well the lowest grade I’ve gotten in an AP/IB class is a B- and I took classes toward my major (business classes every year from 9 to 12) and did very well in all those classes. I really hope I get accepted.</p>

<p>Yes, but I think your course selection is important too, and I think they take that into consideration as well, like most colleges who look at UW gpas.</p>

<p>Purdue redoes your grades to make it a Purdue GPA, but unforunately they do not wieght them. For admission your course rigor is definately very important, but for scholarships it kind of stinks. I think there is somewhere on their website that states how to figure out your GPA.
I wish you luck!</p>

<p>The main factor that’s turning me off of Purdue right now is the fact that they take your unweighted GPA to determine scholarship consideration. It just makes no sense, and it lost me any chance at getting a scholarship.</p>

<p>Purdue should review the GPA calculation. For such a good engineering school, it really is not that difficult to come up with a formula to consider, at least, some credits for the AP courses.</p>

<p>or you could just get A’s in those classes so it doesn’t matter</p>