Purdue merit aid for FYE?

Hi! I am a new CC participant and I was wondering if anybody would be so kind as to tell me about possible merit chances for Purdue FYE? My son is OOS, has a 4.4 weighted/3.93 unweighted GPA (all available AP classes), and scored a 34 ACT. I know it is a holistic review and he has good EC’s, baseball player. I am not sure what other factors might be needed but if anybody has any guidance I would appreciate your help!

Good stats for your son, but Purdue is not known for giving out much merit aid to OOS students.

I am starting to understand that! Does it help to call the financial aid office or any other advice to let them know that Purdue is his first choice? Thank you!!

It wouldn’t hurt to email/contact Admissions to check on available Merit scholarships. Those stats are slightly better than the average FYE admitted student (32 ACT, 3.9 UW) so it’s worth a shot.

Thank you- we will call. Any idea of what the average Purdue merit scholarships are for OOS students?

The Admissions Office website, at http://www.admissions.purdue.edu/costsandfinaid/freshman.php, states this about freshman merit scholarships: “Purdue scholarships are highly competitive - each year about 15% of applicants receive a merit award. Awards are based on credentials and information presented at the time of application for admission and are nonnegotiable. Purdue does not match offers from other institutions and does not consider appeals for merit aid.”

Thank you so much- I did see that on the website but I was wondering if anyone had any personal feedback or opinion?

@VerlisB: Just curious, but is your son your first child to go through the college admissions process? If so, I may send you a PM.

Yes he is- I would appreciate your help! Thanks!

When my son spoke to an admissions rep at a college fair he told him to apply as soon as he could and the essays were very important for merit. He has a GPA 4.0 taking all AP or dual credit courses and 35 on the ACT. Summer jobs. Great recs. Volunteers with special needs kids and other volunteering. Leader in a couple of things. No president of anything at his school. He loved the Engineering and honors program. Is OOS.