Purdue Merit Scholarship

<p>Does any know when they start to let applicants know about their merit scholarship $$$ like the Presidents Scholarship?</p>

<p>My son got accepted in the fall but I don’t think he heard about scholarships until spring- closer to the April 15 deadline</p>

<p>I know somebody who is an Indiana resident who received the letter today. So it should be coming soon if at all for the rest of us.</p>

<p>I am a Texas Resident I received my letter today</p>

<p>My son just got a “Scholarship Award” letter in the mail. Although I’m going to let him open it up, the contents are driving me crazy. Has anyone got any idea what kind of money we’re talking about here?</p>

<p>if you’re out of state like 7k or 10k a year for 4 years</p>

<p>I recieved my letter about the Trustee Scholarship today, which is 10,000 a year. I also recieved a separate letter telling me that I am a Beering Scholarship Candidate.</p>

<p>congrats kutless!
what are your stats btw?</p>

<p>The thing with the trustee scholarship is that it gets reduced by the amount of any other merit scholarships that you get from Purdue. That was an unfortunate revelation.</p>

<p>Thanks! here are my stats. (i copied it from another thread i posted in)
Hispanic Female OOS
I am in a magnet Math/Science/Computer program (accepts only 30 kids out of whole district…about 30 out of 2,000)
Intended Major: Pre-Med (will probably major in Math and minor in Bio) I dream of being an Orthopedic Surgeon</p>

<p>GPA: 3.89 UW/ 4.39 W
ACT: 34 with a 12 writing
PSAT: 185
SAT: 1950 (didn’t send)
AP: 5: US History, US Gov, Computer Science AB, Calc BC, and AB subscore
4: Biology</p>

<p>Schedule:The hardest that one can take at my school</p>

<p>Awards:
Honor Roll all through high school
Earned Academic Letter
Participated in MMPC, MML, Sigma, AMC 10, AMC 12 and other various math competitions
Have won numerous soccer tournaments and awards including regional National Indoor Champs
Fresh: Alg 2 honor award, Chem honor award, Computer honor award
Soph: Analysis honor award, Geometry honor award, Physics Honor award, MI Math Prize Competition Honors, Michigan Math League Team Regional Winners
Junior: Cal BC Honor award, Michigan Math League Team Regional Winners, AP Scholar with Distinction
Possible: still a slight possibility that I could become a National Hispanic Merit Scholar (won’t know until the fall)</p>

<p>ECs:
Swimming- 9 yrs
Soccer- over 10 yrs total. (7 yrs select and premier and one yr JV…couldn’t play school soccer last two years becuase of knee ingury and surgery)
Spanish Club- 3 yrs (will continue next year)
Literary Magazine- 2 yrs (will continue next year)
Student Council- 3 yrs (Class Rep for 3 yrs and Senior Class Treasurer next year)
NHS- 2 yrs (will continue next year. I am Treasurer this next year)
JV Quiz Bowl- 1 yr
State Student Council Conference 2010 committee chair</p>

<p>Volunteer:
VBS teacher for 5 yrs,NC Mission trip- 2 summers,tutored special needs kids in math (1 yr),tutor in math help room (1 yr),Relay for Life-2 yrs,Read Across America- 2 yrs, Volunteer at hospital (started Junior year and will continure throughout high school)
(have also shadowed a few doctors and will see a few surgeries)
Help with All Saints Night at church (4 yrs),Some other mis stuff with childrens ministry at church and fixing homes in area</p>

<p>Leadership:
Student Council (rep for 3 years, Senior Class Treasurer for one), NHS Treasurer (one year), Editor of Literary Magazine (10th grade), Soccer Captain (3 yrs), VBS teacher (5 years), soccer ref (5 years)</p>

<p>Work:
Soccer Ref.- 5 yrs
tutor (most was volunteer, but was paid in a few cases)</p>

<p>hey, does anyone know how many students are invited to apply for Beering?</p>

<p>I think they usually invite about 100, but i am not 100% sure.</p>

<p>I want to say 100 as well. But I know they give out less two to six per year.</p>

<p>Hey a fellow beering candidate here. I asked purdue about the qualifications for beering. Apparently, you must have an SAT of >2200 and a core gpa of >3.8 using their calculations. But that’s not all. some people I know pass the above standards but they weren’t invited. So I think there’s a quota as well. </p>

<p>I’m disappointed that purdue puts such a heavy emphasis on scores.</p>

<p>Yeah. I have a friend you has a slighty higher GPA, one point higher on the ACT, a higher SAT score, and the same exact course load (and if anything slightly better), and he didn’t get invited.</p>

<p>I thought that I had read somewhere once that the invitations were based on test scores and GPA, but if that is true my friend should have been invited. I wonder how else they base the invitations…</p>

<p>fluffysheep- What are your stats?</p>

<p>I have a 4.0 by their standards and 2350… my friend who has a >3.8 and 2260 was not invited. But I gotta say, the application essay is kind of silly. I don’t know if i’m bound by some code of silence so i’ll say just that much.</p>

<p>Yeah I think my GPA is about a 3.9 by their standards, but I think my friends was even higher, but whatever, I won’t complain about getting an invitation. Yeah, I think that this application is a little off the wall as a whole. I haven’t even looked at it too much, since I have been busy with other college apps, scholarships, and such, but I am not sure of exactly how I am going to fill it out.</p>

<p>arrrgghh I don’t want to complain but the lack of a “save” button is making me do a lot of extra work for the online application. I know two of the essays have word limits. But what about the other ones? One of mine (community) is straight from the common app…the other is 3 times as long…</p>

<p>Is there a relationship between getting presidential scholarship and getting invited to be in honors program? 'cause first year engineering honors program criteria says
'You are a merit scholarship recipient, which includes but is not limited to: National Merit Finalist or Scholar, Beering Scholar, Dean’s Engineering Scholar, Minority Engineering Program Honors Merit Award, or Women In Engineering Program Honors Merit Award '</p>

<p>fluffysheep- yeah i know it made it so much harder without a save button. the only ones that i kept to a certain word limit where the first and last ones (the one with 750 and the one with 300). I used one from mine u of m (i used it for community service). Out of the honors/awards one and the community service/job one, i think the community service one was longer. did you get yours in?</p>

<p>wrkhard-are you talking about the university honors program(uhp) or specific college honors. for the uhp, there are about 140 spots and you will get a notification in the mail. The first wave went out and my friend and i both were inivited. When i went to scholars day they said that they will continue sending out notifications up to, and i think after may 1, as they see who will accept/decline. they want to make it as full as possible, so they are constantly sending out more letters. Since not alot of people are inivited to this i would imagine that most people invited are eligible for scholarships.</p>

<p>if you are talking about college honor program, it varies from school to school. I am in the college of science so I am not familiar with the first year engineering honors program criteria. for the college of science they said the invite the top 10%. from what i understood, these don’t go out until after the may 1 deadline. Since more people are invited to this one, i would think that people who might not have recieved scholarships might get invited.
i am not sure about the first year engineering since i think that is harder to get into from admissions standpoint and i have no idea how many people are invited.</p>