Purdue or U. of Wisconsin-Madison?

<p>Hello, I am an international student who needs help deciding where I should go for engineering: between Purdue and UW-Madison. I am not quite sure which field of engineering I would like to be in, although I am leaning towards chemical or biomedical.
Anyone out there who has suggestions or opinion, please reply... I really need help.
Thank you!</p>

<p>For ChE UW is hard to beat. Also larger nicer town than Purdue has.</p>

<p>Definitely choose UW Madison. Much better campus and city. Consider the whole campus- and all of the international students there as well.</p>

<p>wow!! your question is exactly the same from a guy from my school hahaha. he chose Wisconsin…he says that it’s just better as a whole: the city, the international factor, the name, and the academics…Indiana is…kinda dead, and real damn cold…go to Wisconsin…well it’ll still be cold, but at least you can get yourself lost in the city :P</p>

<p>I am a student, accepted to purdue and UW for computer science (Purdue considers it engineering while UW has it on L&S). </p>

<p>I visited both schools, and I honestly believe UW offers so, so much more than Purdue. No offense to Purdue lovers, but honestly, it’s just the campus, and nothing else. It’s boring, and not too lively there. UW offers campus with the entire city of Madison, even though UW itself makes most of the city. UW is, strictly my opinion, a superior institute of higher learning than Purdue in terms of not only academics overall, but student life. Purdue offers an incredible engineering program, but if given the choice, there is no contest- UW wins. </p>

<p>mai 2c</p>

<p>Friend of son’s transferred from Purdue for some of those reasons. Purdue is known as the state of Indiana’s engineering/science campus since they also have Indiana U. Wisconsin gives you both the excellent engineering plus all of the benefits of a liberal arts campus. You may think all you care about is your major, but the cultural opportunities influence your experiences. You will find excellent sciences at UW for your preengineering needs.</p>

<p>personally I hold that Wisconsin is better than purdue on the whole. First, academically speaking Wisconsin earns good reputation as nations TOP10 public university. Your experience of studying in Wisconsin must strengthen your resume. Second, Wisconsin is big university where people from different walks of society study and work together. There is no doubt that you will have much exposure to different ideas, perspectives and cultural background. Third, for undergraduate students, major is not our biggest concern.I Know that the reason why you feel traped in dilemma between wisconsin and purdue is that purdue also has strong engineering programs to offer. But I agree that we undergraudate students should expose to different culture, ideas, and majors. Most importantly, we need to try different majors and find our real interests and passion. In this regard, wisconsin as a liberal and diverse university can present more opportunities for you.</p>

<p>Thank you all for the replies and suggestions! Cqbzgjx, you got my dilemma exactly correctly. Of course there are others factor I have to consider. One other thing I did not mention because I thought it would be useless is that I prefer living in my home country. But as the opportunity goes, the universities in America is, indeed, hard to beat. Thus must find the best deal out of it. So thank you all again for the advice!</p>

<p>Kudos to you for going outside your comfort zone. Remember to make use of all the international students organization can offer you. You will look back at your years in Madison with fondness and join a hug alumni group. Good luck.</p>