Purdue Polytechnic Degree

I am a student in high school planning on attending Purdue University. I have been selected for Purdue’s Computer and Information technology program (CIT) which is under their polytechnic school.

I wanted to know if this degree would be valued in the next 4-6 years. Would it be better of to go undecided at a school like Penn State?

If anyone could answer this that would be great. Thank you in advance!

No one can answer your question with so little information.

• What do you want to study in college?
  • What post-graduation goals do you have, and how do they relate to college majors?
  • How much do costs differ, and how much does the difference matter?

I want to study something in the computer field. I am happy with the program I got selected for however I do not know (nor do my parents know) how good the specific program would be down the line and how significant it would be. Basically the question is would it be worth studying this specific area, or would it be obsolete in the next couple of years plus would it also pay well in the next couple of years…

My goal is just to get a well paying job out of school and I do not know if this major would do that for me.

Cost wise, Purdue is cheaper than Penn State but I do not know the specifics.

Purdue CIT is aimed at those wanting to go into IT (i.e. managing computers and their software, not designing and developing them), as hinted by the degree requirements:

Is that your career goal?

If you go to Penn State, what major would you try to get into?

These are the things I am interested in for now. I like what this program offers I just do not know if it will be significant in the near future.

I do not have any real career goals yet I am 18 but I guess it would just to have a stable job after college.

@momofboiler1 has a kid who is a senior in Engineering at Purdue.

I think it’s a fine program if it meets your need.

If you go to Penn State or another as undecided, and you’re leaning toward computers, will you be able to transfer in? It’s not like you are going to Poli Sci.

If you want to do CS, you likely should find a school where you can study CS and pick neither.

Best of luck.

Look at the career outcomes for your intended major at Purdue. Are those positions and companies of interest to you? Purdue has that information readily available and searchable by major. Look at the office of professional practice site and search for the first destination survey.

If you were looking to do CS, that is a different program and not interchangeable.

No one has a crystal ball to say what degrees will be in demand in the future so do what interests you and get a foundation that you can pivot from if necessary.

From Penn State’s DUS (undecided), you can go into any major, as long as you complete the entrance to major requirements (coursework and GPA), so Penn State would give you more options, including computer science. You said Purdue is less expensive. Are both schools affordable to your family without the need to take more loans than the direct student loan?

Is that really true? There is no limit to how many they will take? This seems like an incredible back door into some of the more competitive majors. If you don’t get in upfront you can just say you are undecided and then switch after taking the prereqs?

That is correct. From DUS, you can go into Smeal (business), Engineering (including Computer Science), or any other major. As long as you meet the entrance to major requirements, you will be admitted to that major. For some majors, the ETM GPA requirement is higher: Finance 3.5, other Smeal majors 3.2, Computer Science 3.2. Most others are in the 2.0-3.0 range.

1 Like

But do kids already in those majors have to meet the same requirements …ie are they pre admits or direct admits?

Because if they don’t have to meet those same requirements that would change the equation. It doesn’t make it a bad choice but would at least need to be taken into account.

If the the kid already in Smeal has the same hurdle then it wouldn’t matter.

Except for a few direct entry majors (e.g. Nursing, Architecture), everyone at Penn State is in premajor status and has to complete Entrance to Major requirements in order to be admitted to that major. For example, someone admitted to Finance or Computer Science (pre)major has to meet the same ETM requirements as someone admitted to DUS.

1 Like

Almost makes it seem that everyone should go undecided !!

1 Like

However, you do have to apply to and be accepted to DUS, which has gotten more competitive in recent years due to people figuring out that it’s somewhat less competitive than Smeal (business) or Engineering. Currently, it’s more difficult to get into DUS than to some other colleges at Penn State (e.g., Liberal Arts, Education, Health and Human Development, Agriculture).

I applied undecided and got in however I would have to go very early in the summer for some reason and I am not willing to do that.

We would have to take loans but money is not that big of a problem.

The main problem is where to go based on these two schools. Right now I personally am leaning more towards purdue however my parents are concerned about the future and I do not know if the major im stuyding at purdue would be necessary down the line. That is why Penn state is still lingering in my mind becuase I can go as undecided but idk if its worth it.

How difficult are these pre req tests?

Is it really worth it to study and prepare for these exams or would it be better to already have a major decision freshman year with a program I like?

Pre reqs are not tests. They are courses. The pre req courses will be different depending on your desired major.

Ahhh understood.

I would have to attend Penn States summer session program if I would go to university park. Is this worth it and do you have any other information regarding this?