Purdue Polytechnic Institute

Hi. I did not get accepted into Engineering but was offered alternate majors in few colleges, one of them the Polytechnic Institute. It offers a wide range of technology degrees. I know Technology may not be as prestigious as Engineering, but how is this institute in terms of ratings and career prospects? Is it something I should seriously consider while waiting for response from other unis?

Thanks in advance.

Hi. I’m currently a senior in the Polytechnic Institute. I think it is something you should definitely give serious consideration. Ratings for Purdue’s technology degrees are very good. As far as career prospects, previous graduates I’ve known have all gotten engineering jobs. The pay is comparable to the salaries of grads in Engineering. Placement data can be found here: https://polytechnic.purdue.edu/about/placement-data. The learning environment in PPI courses is very different from Engineering, but you learn the same things. Most of the PPI courses have a lab beginning in freshman year on which most of your grade will be based. Engineering courses typically do not have labs until junior year and grades are mostly based on exams. PPI is also more cooperative and Engineering is more competitive.