Purdue reputation in graduate Industrial Engineering?

<p>just as a quick pre-text, i don't rely solely on USNR rankings but they did offer a nice foundation to which schools to look into. </p>

<p>After careful consideration I decided to apply for masters in Industrial for spring admissions at</p>

<p>Purdue
Vtech
Penn State
U Florida
North Carolina State University</p>

<p>All great schools no doubt.</p>

<p>Purdue in my opinion had the strongest program on my list with reputation and correlated with the USNR graduate industrial rankings with #3 standing for the past 4 years.</p>

<p>The 2010 graduate rankings came out yesterday and for industrial engineering Purdue is not in the top 10 anymore? Anyone have any idea why the sharp drop? From my understanding the USNR discipline rankings are based on reputation alone.</p>

<p>Also if you happen to have the full list outside of the top 10 for 2010 graduate rankings that would be great.</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>Updated on the Purdue Engineering site, Graduate Industrial Engineering ranking now 12th.</p>

<p>I'm an undergraduate IE at Purdue and what I have heard from grad students is that the IE department has lost(or are soon to loose) some of their reputable professors. No doubt this will not be a perminent drop, but it does take time to fill those positions with qualified people. IE is a relatively close nit group of people at the professorship level, and the professors that I have spoken with seem to know the professors at all of the top programs, such as GT, VT, etc... Considering that USNews rankings are based upon the reputation of surveyed professors and administrators in the IE field across the country - I am sure that the loss of such professors has had an impact on the rankings. I am not 100% on this, but that would be my guess for the drop.</p>

<p>However, even with that in mind I would have to say that Purdue still probably has the strongest program on your list. The downside to Purdue in my opinion is the location and the weather, UF, where my brother went to school, offers a much more enjoyable experience but definately lags behind the reputation of Purdue. NC probably would be fairly nice, but I think the others on your list, especially VT and PS, will have similar weather, etc., to deal with. All in all, a Purdue IE degree will go further than a degree from the others you have listed, all else equal.</p>