Purdue STEP

Hey I’ve recently been admitted the Purdue STEP summer program and was wondering if there are any other accepted kids on here or maybe program alum that could tell me what the program’s going to be like! I live in Tampa, Florida and if you’re going for the first week this year (July 12th-17th) you should message me!

My D, currently a sophomore at Purdue studying ChemE, attended STEP between her Jr. and Sr. year. You will be busy and you will be working with some very bright students. Most of the activities are engineering related such as building a roller coaster out of knects where you need to document your calculations. Tours of the engineering campus and specifically touring and seeing the type of work done in various majors, She decided Biomed was not for her when she nearly passed out as they were cleaning the spots on rats heads where they had put electrodes for experiments. They had other projects as well. There is some rah rah Purdue stuff and sometime to socialize but you will be busy. She enjoyed it enough to become a counselor the summer after her freshman year. The dorms they keep you in are not air conditioned so it can potentially get kind of warm but you do a lot of your work in areas that are air conditioned.

@lvvcsf they actually have air conditioned dorms this year and busy sounds great! I’m so ready to meet some bright kids from around the country and get down to math. Thank you for the insight and maybe she’ll be one of my counselors!

She did that last summer as she was taking two summer courses. She has a 5 term co-op and will be working this summer. Purdue has a great professional practices office if you are interested in co-ops.

I went to step 5 years ago. It was so fun and busy! Be ready for some sleep deprivation. I don’t know if it’s the same every year, but we built a roller coaster from knex in the end. There was also a group of students that were at the program from China, which I thought was cool at the time.

@naturaldistaster sleep deprivation will be fine! And this sounds exciting thank you for the input!