Purdue University Acceptances - Class of 2025

Yes, they planned on a larger incoming class. Theyve been building dorms and hiring. Not sure if they planned on this big of a jump but they’ve been purposefully growing for a few cycles.

I believe I read in one of the releases that the plan is to hire 130+ new faculty for the fall. So they certainly have plans to grow faculty, to join the new dorms, classrooms, etc., of the last few years.

The apartment my D lived in last year was purchased from an external party a few years ago and has been returned for the upcoming year - it will be private, not university, housing. So they believe they have capacity.

Purdue is only the 8th largest of the 14 Big 10 schools - OSU has 15,000+ more students.

So the question is more “too fast” than “too big”, IMO. Can they hire that many qualified faculty that quickly?

Yes, too fast vs. too big although it’s getting big. Going from 8300 incoming freshmen to 10K in one year is incredible growth.

Last year, UT-Austin enrolled 8459. Illinois had 7530 new students. 74% are from Illinois and over 12% are from outside the U.S.

The Ohio State U had 8700 FTIC students last year.

Anyway, Purdue seems to have a good handle on assimilation with its learning communities, its programs are highly ranked and costs are quite reasonable.

I was contemplating a visit on Sept. 25th for the Illinois football game. Thoughts on good times to visit?

It’s definitely a lot. They will have the biggest class in the Big 10 (unless OSU, Illinois and Michigan all went above 10k) which is surprising when you consider how big OSU, Illinois and Michigan really are relative to Purdue. Building new dorms and planning was smart. I know my son had received an email a few months ago about the CS program being over-enrolled and they weren’t going to allow transfers in next year to keep the size down. He also told me that if you’re in Data Science you can’t transfer to CS but if you’re in CS you can transfer to anything. I guess that makes sense if that’s the most competitive/popular major there. They do appear to have a very deep department but without raising tuition, if they aren’t bringing in all the money to that one department/school, no clue how they will be able to continue to hire all the new faculty they need from some of the bigger CS schools or just any faculty because CS is so popular everywhere and Engineering as well, plus you need to pay them to switch and a lot of these schools, Purdue included, are not in the most ideal locations.

I applied to Purdue late October, early November for the Early Action application.
I was accepted to Purdue for the freshman class of 2025 in January.
I only had a weighted GPA of 4.217. I was the standing salutatorian of my class, and ended up being the salutatorian.
SAT score was 1350 or maybe 1360. I did not take the essay.
I wrote about something that I was passionate about for my application, no BS something I had truly experienced that had changed me forever. Really dig deep down and come from your heart.

Just scrolling through this forum belatedly and came upon your post. Purdue is on my daughter’s list of potentials for Film Studies and Production. Did you son decide to go there?

braag

Please don’t reply to posts from nearly a year ago.

1 Like