Purdue University Class of 2020 Results Thread

So I got deferred for additional info, my stats were low (I know) I had a career W GPA of a 3.3 (switched to a much harder school sophomore year, grades progressively got better) and now after the first 2 quarters of senior year I have boosted my GPA to a 3.7. I got a 1670 on my SAT. think I have a chance of getting an acceptance?

Decision: Accepted - Krannert School of Business

SAT: 2300
GPA(UW): 3.5

Subjective:
Essays: 8/10
Teacher Rec: 9/10
Counselor Rec:
Hook (if any): None.

Location/Person:
State or Country: NY
School Type: Public

Other Factors:
Leadership ECs along with many Hospitality and Business Related ECs as well.

Good Luck to Everyone!

@pbrum02pa , honestly speaking your SAT score would be a pain to look at, in the perspective of a counsellor. However you have shown that you can bring up your GPA, which I believe increases your chances, after all SATs aren’t everything. I can give any assurances but you may have a shot. Or you could try to do exploratory studies and then transfer into your major. However it all depends on how you perform in your first year. Good luck

@skyblade1234 they never mentioned SAT score to me when they requested my 7th semester transcript, so I wasn’t sure that was an issue. I’m definitely not an engineering major, but I know the score was low. Thanks for your help

@pbrum02pa I’m not an admissions officer and have never played one on TV but the fact that they deferred and did not deny you indicates you have a chance. Since you have an upward trend if you did well and took competitive courses your 7th semester that would work in your favor. Your SAT is low for Purdue but again they didn’t deny you for it the first time.

Decision: Rejected- School of Aeronautics and Astronautics

Objective:
SAT I (breakdown): 2000 (700 CR, 680 M, 620 W)
ACT (breakdown): N/A
SAT II:
Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): ~3.3 (3.717 weighted, school does not calculate UW)
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): ~15-20%
AP (place score in parenthesis): AP Comparative Government (4)
IB (place score in parenthesis): IB Business Mgmt (5)
Senior Year Course Load: All IBs (7 classes)
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): N/A

Subjective:

Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Ran my own eBay business, school based FBLA-PBL, NASA Summer Academy, aerospace engineering online course, cultural week-long summer camp
Job/Work Experience: Visitor services personnel at local science museum (accredited museum, ~5000 people daily), Teaching Assistant at summer enrichment program, Volunteer/Community service:
Summer Activities: Volunteered for just under 150 hours at science museum above before becoming employee
Essays (rating 1-10, details): 8, wrote about running my eBay business, working at the museum, interacting with a diverse array of individuals, etc.
Recommendations (rating 1-10, details):

Teacher Rec #1: ~8, Social Studies (AP Gov)
Teacher Rec #2: ~7, Geosystems
Counselor Rec: ~8
Additional Rec: None
Interview: N/A

Other

Applied for Financial Aid?: No
Intended Major: Aerospace Engineering
State (if domestic applicant): Virginia
Country (if international applicant): USA
School Type: Public, non-selective
Ethnicity: Asian
Income Bracket: ~$150,000+
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): None

Reflection

Strengths: Extracurriculars, essays
Weaknesses: GPA, possibly SAT
Why you think you were accepted/deferred/rejected: Stated as program competitiveness, IMO I probably wasn’t competitive enough as an out of state applicant
Where else were you accepted/deferred/rejected: Rejected from UChicago and UVA. Still waiting on UMD, UC Berkeley, UMich, VT

General Comments :

Quite shocked to be honest. Thought I had this one in the bag.

Decision: Accepted

EARLY ACTION

Objective:
SAT I (breakdown): 2190 (690 CR, 780 M, 720 W, 8 Essay)
ACT (breakdown): N/A
SAT II: 760 Math Level 2, 750 Physics
Unweighted GPA:
Weighted GPA:
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable):
AP (place score in parenthesis):
IB (place score in parenthesis): 39/45
Senior Year Course Load:
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.):

Subjective:
Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Soccer Team captain, Founder of my own soccer club, DJ, tonss more
Job/Work Experience: Internship at a research institute
Volunteer/Community service: Teaching the guitar, computers, organized fundraisers
Summer Activities: Internship, Soccer tournaments
Essays: I thought it was pretty unique. It was about soccer.
Teacher Recommendation: Really good
Counselor Rec: Good
Additional Rec: Very Good
Interview:
Supplementary Material (portfolio, etc.):

Other
Applied for Financial Aid?:
State (if domestic applicant): US citizen, but stateless
Country (if international applicant):
School Type: Private
Ethnicity: Asian
Income Bracket: N/A

Reflection
Strengths: ECs I’m guessing?
Weaknesses: My IB score?
Why you think you were accepted/deferred/rejected: ECs, my work experience
Where else were you accepted/deferred/rejected: OSU, CWRU

General Comments:
I’m really glad to have gotten in! Good luck everyone :slight_smile:

@IcedBlitz I understand your feelings, Aerospace Engineering and Civil Engineering in Purdue is ranked around top five in the nation. I applied to School of Aeronautics and Astronautics and have not got any thing back. I am also an Asian (I know, we have to face typical stereotype). I grew very worried after seeing many of you getting your acceptance. I am considering switching major right now.

I am already rejected by Georgia Tech Aerospace Engineering. A girl at my school with very similar grades as me got accepted.

Just telling you that I have better grades than you do but I would not be shocked if they reject me. But hey, people get good money from this field

Decision: Accepted College of Science - Major: Computer Science
Applied: Oct 25th, Decision: Nov 20th

Objective:
SAT I did not take
ACT C-30
SAT II: did not take
Weighted GPA (out of 4.0):3.9
Rank 15%
AP AP Calc AB, AP Physics, AP Comp Sci (4’s)
IB - none
Senior Year Course Load: AP Chem, AP Calc BC, English, electives: Astronomy,
Major Awards Eagle Scout, State math awards - US Academic Decathlon

Subjective:

Extracurriculars: Scouting - 11 years (Eagle Scout, Order of the Arrow (Scouting’s National Honor Society) Executive Committee Member running state OA program)
literally thousands of hours of community service through Scouting,
US FIRST Robotics program (Spirit Award at Boston regional competition)
National Honor Society
National Math Honor Society

Volunteer/Community service: (see above)
Summer Activities: Scouting community service rebuilding/building trails at high adventure bases and BSA camps
Essays (rating 1-10, details): 7-8
Recommendations (rating 1-10, details): excellent math teacher, social studies and counselor recommendations

Interview: Met with Dept. of Computer Science when on campus for tours.

Other

Applied for Financial Aid?: Y
Intended Major: Computer Science
State (if domestic applicant): Connecticut
Ethnicity: mixed race

Why you think you were accepted/deferred/rejected: Accepted based on strong ACT’s, GPA, extracurriculars, Interview.

Where else were you accepted/deferred/rejected: Accepted: Alabama (full-ride scholarship), UMASS Amherst College of CS with scholarship, deferred with UChicago. No rejections yet, still waiting on NCState, VT, UConn, Syracuse, USC, NW (last 2 def stretch schools)

General Comments :

Applied: Dec 30 Decision: Jan 27

Objective:
SAT I: Didn’t submit
ACT : 30
SAT II: Didn’t submit
Weighted GPA (out of 4.0): School doesn’t weight; 3.5 UW
AP: APUSH (4) English Lit (3)
IB - none
Senior Year Course Load: Calculus, Senior English, Literature Independent Study, Constitutional Law, Advanced Chinese, Human Anatomy
Major Awards: N/A

Subjective:

Extracurriculars: Piano- 12 years, Fundraising and Outreach Head of community service club- 2 years, dorm proctor, Drill team- 1 year, Varsity Basketball- 3 years (captain), Varsity track- 3 years, President of own not-for-profit foundation

Volunteer/Community service: (see above)
Summer Activities: Public Policy program- 11th grade, Exchange to South Africa- 10th grade, Job at local store- 11th grade
Essays (rating 1-10, details): 8
Recommendations (rating 1-10, details): 9

Interview: None

Other

Applied for Financial Aid?: N
Intended Major: Political Science
State (if domestic applicant): Illinois
Ethnicity: Black
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): Legacy

Why you think you were accepted/deferred/rejected: Strong ACT, GPA, and extracurriculars as well as legacy status

Where else were you accepted/deferred/rejected: Accepted: Iowa Still waiting: Tufts, UIUC, USC, Cornell, Barnard, Georgetown, etc.

Decision: Offer Admission
Yay!

SAT I (breakdown): 1800 (600 Critical Reading, 530 Writing, 680 Math)
SAT II: 650 Math II, 700 Physics
Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.75
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): 10%
Senior Year Course Load: IB Diploma (HL English B, SL Spanish A Language and Literature, SL Philosophy, SL Maths, HL Physics, HL Chemistry)

Tons of extracurricular activities, tons of volunteering and great essays about my passion for helping others and how I want to embrace by staying industrial engineering and how my stepfather is my role model.

Intended Major: Industrial Engineering
Country (if international applicant): Spain, Chile
Ethnicity: Latino / Hispanic
Income Bracket: Very high

Strengths: Hispanic woman in engineering, great essays and ecs.
Weaknesses: GPA, Test scores…
Why you think you were accepted/deferred/rejected: I have a unique profile.
Where else were you accepted/deferred/rejected: Waiting on Georgia Tech, University of Michigan and Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.

General Comments: Very happy on the decision but I expected it.

Objective: Accepted
SAT I (breakdown): 2120
ACT (breakdown): 35 Super Score (36 M, 35 E, 32 S, 34 R, 36 W)
SAT II: 800 Math II
Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.78
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): 77/502
AP (place score in parenthesis):
IB (place score in parenthesis): Spanish (6)
Senior Year Course Load: IB Computer Science, IB Business and Management, IB Physics, IB English, IB TOK, IB Biology
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): National Merit Commended

Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): a bunch of crap
Job/Work Experience: math tutor
Volunteer/Community service: key club, etc.
Summer Activities: job
Essays (rating 1-10, details): 2
Recommendations (rating 1-10, details): 9

Teacher Rec #1: 9
Teacher Rec #2: n/a
Counselor Rec: 9
Additional Rec: n/a
Interview: n/a

Other

Applied for Financial Aid?: no
Intended Major: Mechanical Engineering
State (if domestic applicant): WA
Country (if international applicant): n/a
School Type: public
Ethnicity: indian
Income Bracket: 130k
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.):

Reflection

Strengths: gpa, ib diploma, act/sat
Weaknesses: essays
Why you think you were accepted/deferred/rejected: act/sat
Where else were you accepted/deferred/rejected: deferred Georgia Tech

Decision: Deferred(Any idea when deferred decisions will be released?)- School of Engineering
Applied August 30, deferred Oct. 24
GPA UW: 3.4
ACT: 28 (Don’t remember break down)
SAT: 1900
Math: 620
Writing: 600
Reading: 620
AP Stats: 3
Physics: 2
W.History: 3
Lang/Comp.: 3

ECs: Band, Robotics(FRC 2867 represent!), math club, chemistry club, physics club

Applied for Fin. Aid? Yes
Intended major: Aero/Astro Engineering
State: Indiana, USA
School: public
Ethnicity: White
Income bracket: <$30,000

Hooks: First Generation?

I’m a bit disappointed, since Purdue was my first choice, and the only college I’ve visited officially(Family friends live in West Lafayette and let us stay with them… No friends like that in Bloomington, etc.)
I’d be fire

Decision: Accepted College of Science - Biology
Applied: Dec 15th. Decision: Feb 2

Objective:
SAT I 1790

Weighted GPA (out of 5.0) 4.17
Unweighted GPA. (Out of 4.0). 3.97
Rank (school doesn’t rank)
AP none
IB - none
Senior Year Course Load: anatomy, economics, art, stats, English, history, athletic pe
Major Awards, northern ca scholar athlete for varsity softball. Soph, Jr. Year

Subjective:

Extracurriculars: varsity Softball soph, jr and Sr. Year , intern with county coroner

Volunteer/Community service: none
Summer Activities: associate at Rock n jump.

Essays (rating 1-10, details): 9. My fathers work has an essay review service as a benefit
Recommendations (rating 1-10, details): 10.

Interview: none

Other

Applied for Financial Aid?: N.
Intended Major: Biology
State (if domestic applicant): California
Ethnicity: Caucasian
Income range: > 325,000

Why you think you were accepted/deferred/rejected: Accepted based on strong GPA, varsity scholar athlete in a difficult sport not widely played by women.

Where else were you accepted/deferred/rejected: Accepted: Alabama, creighton, u of Arizona, St. John’s

deferred with baylor
rejections, Dartmouth (reached), notre dame, Boston college (legacy rejection) pissed my dad off
still waiting on Clemson, smith, Wellesley, holy cross, wake forest, William and Mary, u of Florida, Tulane and Ohio state

General Comments :

Hey guys!
I applied to Purdue a couple of weeks back, and apparently my application is under review currently. Do you guys know how long it’s expected for a decision to come out?
Also, I have applied to the School of Engineering, and I am confused on my chances of getting in. Here are my stats:
GPA UW: 3.2
GPA W: 3.85
SAT: 1900 (1920 superscored)
ACT composite: 28
SAT Subject Tests: Math (760); Chem (520)
I have taken AP Calc AB (score: 4) and AP Physics 1 (score: 2) and am taking AP Calc BC and AP Physics C this year. I am also a full IB Diploma student with Bio, History, and English HLs as well as Spanish, Physics, and Math SLs. I am OOS while also being considered an international student, as I am not a citizen.

ECs: tennis, soccer, library volunteering, music, other organizations (9 total ECs)
Also have a recommendation from my school counselor and a math teacher.

Intended Major: Chemical Engineering

What do you guys think my chances are of getting in?

@Jackr12 I think you’re a bit below average for the stats, in terms of GPA and SAT score, but I believe you should get in, good luck.

@skyblade1234 Thanks!

Objective:
SAT I (breakdown): CR: 560 W: 550 M: 670
SAT II: Physics: 660
AS Level Grades: Physics: B Chemistry: B Math: A
A Levels(forecasts): AAA

Subjective:
Extracurriculars: (Head of Soccer: Culturama School fest), Soccer related ec’s, music band related ec’s, robotics course
Volunteer/Community service: Worked as an intern for an animal rescue foundation

Applied for Financial Aid?: No
Intended Major: Robotics Engineering Technology
School Type: British Patterned (CIE A Levels)
Ethnicity: Indian Asian

Why you think you were accepted: Mediocre SAT score, good essay, ec’s, decent grades

@skyblade1234 Just got a result from Purdue on my App Status program online, and it says that I got Denied/Offer Alternate Major. It might have been because of the timing that I sent my application in that this is the case. I still do want to go to purdue, but I am unsure on what major to go to that would be good and possibly guarantee me a spot there. I’m thinking comp sci, but do you have any advice on what major to pursue?

@Jackr12 Im very sorry to hear that. To Purdue, youre a strong applicant, but its just that they do not have enough space to allocate you. Heres exactly what your decision means
enied/Offer Alternate Major: Applicant has been denied but offered options for alternative majors. Typically, this is because demand for the requested major far exceeds its capacity and there is not enough space for all qualified students. The applicant is encouraged to request admission to an alternative major on Purdue’s West Lafayette campus by completing the online alternative major request form. Indiana residents also have the option to begin their Purdue education at Purdue regional campuses or Polytechnic Institute locations around the state.

So, if youre very much interested in going for Purdue, I would advice you to go with the alternate major path. Im not sure if exploratory studies covers computer science,but if it does, you will have the option of going for exploratory studies and then transferring over into computer science in your second year. Im not sure if this is entirely possible, but you could call and ask, and call, never email them, by calling, you are showing that youre keen on the university, they wont necessarily change the decision but they will be willing to accept you for other majors.