***PURDUE University CLASS of 2022 Admission Thread

We got the stickers a couple of days ago. We also got invited to a coffee and meet up near us but it filled up in just a couple of hours so we missed being able to register. Such a bummer!

We got the personalized "Boiler Up"poster, and the laptop stickers came on Friday; plus a revised notice from the financial aid office about an award of NMF money. Only $500, but, heck, we’re grateful for anything we can get!

I did not apply for EA, but got in during the RD. Unfortunately I have not been awarded any scholarshi

Anyone (that got accepted) from the Atlanta area?

@gatechhopeful18 Hi! I was accepted in January for FYE. I’m from Marietta

Seems like just about all the admission decisions have been made. now it’s a matter of choosing a school. How many folks are comparing other engineering schools to Purdue?

Our finalists are Purdue and Wisconsin.

Do those who are accepted in honors as a freshman typically get a scholarship?

Hi @mreus10 - Congratulations! Have you decided on Purdue? We are driving there this weekend for the “Purdue is for me” tour.

@gatechhopeful18 please let us know what you think. We are visiting in April.

@lovespink - Sure will do!

@gatechhopeful18 I haven’t put my deposit down or anything, so I haven’t committed. However, I am heavily leaning towards Purdue for now. I’ve got a couple of decisions to still come in and I’ll be visiting campus for the first time in April, so we’ll see.

@ambkeegan No. 100 applicants get the trustees scholarship and 800 applicants gets the presidential scholarship. Around 650 (could be slightly off) get offered admission to the honors college. However, there is not that much cross over between the two. I am lucky as I got offered the Presidential scholarship and admission to the honors college, but most of the people I have met who got into the honors college did not get a scholarship. Likewise most people I met who got a scholarship did not get into the honors college. It is possible to get honors and a scholarship as I am an example, but not many people get both.

Oh well, we can’t afford it.OOS.

Heading to Purdue’s for Me on Monday. Curious about others impressions, what to see or do beyond the day’s programming. We were invited to a pizza party on Sunday night. I chuckled when DS got the invite since it’s his favorite food - nothing like a little nudge to attend.

Also curious if anyone has info about scholarship opportunities as upperclassman. I’ve heard there is more opportunity for enrolled students than freashmen. We did get a presidential which helps some, but the other option is about $20-25k less per year, but not as highly regarded. It would be nice to lower the cost in the out years.

@ChattaChia Please share how it goes on Monday. We won’t be able to attend and I’d love to hear how it goes for others. Thanks.

@ChattaChia @ballet4me : Our family attended the “Purdue’s for Me” two days ago; and I will give you my observations and impressions.

I had signed up my son for the Friday night pizza party sponsored by PSEF (Purdue Student Engineering Foundation). When we got there, my son was “out of sorts” and decided not to attend; however, my wife and I went over anyway. The fare was Papa John’s pizza plus soda/water served in red solo cups – just what any college student would want, right? :>) There were about 6-8 PSEF student representatives there; and the format, after chowing down, was that each PSEF student sat at a table with parents/students and answered questions about “life, the universe, and everything” regarding Purdue and specifically the engineering programs offered. My wife – who had not visited the Purdue campus before – found the Q&A very helpful, and both of us were very impressed with the PSEF students who were taking part in the pizza party. (Actually, on both of my visits to Purdue – the initial info session/tour trip last Fall, and the Purdue’s for Me this past Monday – I have been extremely impressed with the level of engagement by Purdue engineering students – most of them PSEF, I think – and how knowledgeable and helpful they have been.) The pizza party lasted pretty much the entire 1.5 hours allotted for it, although it probably could have gone on longer.

The following day at 8:00 a.m., the students checked in at Stewart Hall at tables where they picked up their admissions materials (parents were not allowed in the lines, only students). Starting at 8:25 a.m., there were “breakout sessions” each lasting about 20 minutes in various rooms in Stewart Hall – sessions on university housing, LLCs, STAR and Boiler Gold rush in the summer, diversity at a PWI (“Primarily White Institution” – from my daughter, not a phrase used officially at Purdue), study abroad opportunities, financial aid information, etc. My wife and I attended ones separate from our son; and my wife and I thought that the information presented in the sessions we attended was quite useful.

The breakout sessions lasted until about 9:30 a.m., when all of the engineering admittees and their families met in the Fowler (?) auditorium on the first floor of Stewart Hall for a presentation by the College of Engineering. When we arrived, all the students were told to sit on the left side of the auditorium, with all the parents/family members sitting on the right. (And there were NO vacant seats on either side once everyone got there – probably about 150 -175 students, about 225-250 family members in attendance.) A very nice lady from the College of Engineering started the program by having all the students from different states stand up as she named the states; and had each student tell from which city/town they were from. After going through some slides about College of Engineering statistics, there was a panel discussion with two PSEF students plus an advisor from the COE who answered questions – first from the students, then from the parents. Again, lots of useful information came out – although the takeaways that my wife and I had were probably different from what my son got out of it. For example, one of the students related how after his first semester he had a 2.7 GPA; and how he heard about it from his parents over winter break when he went home: “Why are we paying OOS tuition for you to get a 2.7 GPA?” (All the parents got a good laugh out of that.) The GPA was important because the point was made a number of times during the COE session that during the Spring Semester you will be asked to list your top 2 majors/departments that you want to get into after FYE; and if you have a 3.2 GPA, you are pretty much guaranteed the placement you want, but otherwise all bets are off. The student said that he didn’t realize how important it was during the first semester to meet with his advisor and take advantage of all the resources that were available for the students – office hours, study sessions in the residence halls, other multiple study opportunities outside of class – but once he started taking advantage of these resources during the Spring Semester, his GPA went up a good bit. Ultimately, he got into his preferred major area. (Parent takeaway here: Take advantage every day of the resources that are available to help you academically, and don’t stop using those resources. Son’s likely takeaway: I can get a 2.7 GPA, and still get into my top choice major!) Again, very impressive student representatives from PSEF.

After the panel discussion concluded, students and parents/families were led off to lunch at Ford Hall, in four large groups; we were reminded of the free-lunch tickets that came in the registration packet, and those folks who didn’t have any were given replacement tickets. All of the COE students and families ate upstairs at Ford Hall; and there was a tremendous variety of cuisine available in various stations. (After first putting all of our coats down at a table to reserve our space, I strolled around the cafeteria to see what was there, and which had the shortest lines.) No one went away hungry!

In the afternoon my wife and son took a tour of some of the residence halls while I went to check out of our hotel. Although there were additional afternoon sessions available – for example, one at Armstrong Hall regarding information on the majors offered at the COE – we decided to make an early start for home (my son had attended a similar session on engineering majors when we first visited last Fall; and my wife and I had walked around campus the evening before, so there was no need for us to do one of the campus tours that were available in the afternoon). After plundering the bookstore for Purdue gear (we were given a coupon for 20% off items at the bookstore), we hit the road.

All in all, it was a very satisfying visit; my son reaffirmed his interest in Purdue, and my wife now has a high degree of comfort in Purdue as a place for our son to attend school.

Feel free to ask me any questions, or send a PM; I’ll do my best to answer.

@gandalf894 - We were also there for the “Purdue is for me” event - we were not aware of the pizza event the previous night. You have provided a very good review of this event and is in line with what we felt. We attended the Mechanical engineering session in the afternoon (2:30 - 3:30) and found it useful. This was again led by students and provided a variety of perspectives on the mechanical engineering and the sub majors. The students were very engaged in the conversations and were able to answer most of my questions.

@gandalf78 thanks for the great review. I will come back next week and give some feedback. We have never been to the school, it was a last minute addition. So we are hoping to stay and see as much of the area as possible. We are College of Science, specifically Computer Science. So maybe a slightly different perspective.

@gandalf78 Wow, I didn’t expect such a detailed review. Thank you so much. @ChattaChia We have never been to the school either and it was also a last minute addition. Looking forward to any additional feedback you have.

I committed! Major-FYE.