***Purdue University: Class of 2023 Discussion/Decision Thread***

Here’s my dilemma: S has following acceptances:
Kelley B School: OOS admitted to prebuisness, waiting to hear on petition (MIS requested)
Rose Hulman: admitted to Engg (Comp Sc)
CU Boulder- in state, admitted to pre-Engineering
Purdue- OOS, accepted for Data Science
UIUC- OOS, accepted to their business program (wants to do MIS)

Where should he go?

Don’t really want to flip through all the pages… Does anyone know when RD decisions start coming out? thanks!

How hard would it be to switch to Computer Science if you were admitted for a major in the Polytechnic Institute?

@RoboticsWidow it’s easier to reach campus from IND so depending on the rest of your college visits if you can find a good flight there it’s probably best. As far as shuttles go for your student you can shuttle from O’hare for $50 one way or from IND for $22 each way via a company called reindeer shuttle. IND takes a little over an hour and O’hare takes about double that. Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions.

Per the Purdue website - As long as the JANUARY 1 Regular Decision Application Deadline was met, you will have a decision by March 15.

Anyone here for aviation?

Son was rejected from his first choice major of professional flight and accepted for exploratory studies. I was kind of surprised because I didn’t get the impression that professional flight was a super competitive major at Purdue. The aviation program was the main reason that he had applied there, not sure if he would really want to spend a semester or more taking random classes just to possibly never get into aviation.

Due to my carelessness or confusion I missed Nov 1 deadline as I didn’t hit submit button after paying fee in common app. Purdue said they might consider for EA or in few days after Jan 15 but so far not heard yet. I was impressed with Purdue during my visit but my family is sold on Rutgers due to instate and good engineering. One thing I was concerned about Purdue is lot of job concentration is around Indianapolis when I talked to students

Accepted!
OOS
Major: First Year Engineering
GPA: UW 3.9/W 4.3
SAT 1520 (Math 790)
ACT 33

Also accepted to University of Colorado Engineering and Colorado School of Mines Engineering.

Does anyone know how hard it is to switch majors? I got in for Data Science, but was hoping to maybe do CS. They may be very similar too. Please let me know.

@blazinamazin2023 impossible to transfer to CS from any major. Told directly by admissions. If you want to study CS and aren’t admitted, go somewhere else.

@kansha lol no he is still deferred. First time I’ve seen a deferred student awarded a merit scholarship and NOT admission. It’s all ok. He’s going elsewhere for less out of pocket.

Hey everyone, Im currently a Junior at Purdue studying Agricultural Engineering and would love to answer any questions y’all may have about the University. If it helps I am from New York and started in Exploratory->Mechanical Engineering->Agricultural Engineering.

@TytoAlba How did you hear of your merit scholarship (mail, email phone)? I had heard that scholarships aren’t released until mid February?

My son registered last night (1/16) for the Engineering 2/5 date. We’re from Cincinnati, and it will come down between OSU (accepted pre-engineering waiting to hear on Honors) and Purdue. We love Purdue and hope he selects it.

@fluffymuffin Thanks for the offer…would you mind sharing your decision from Mech Eng to Ag? My son was accepted FYE, thinking strongly about Mech Eng. Thanks!

@fluffymuffin Can you talk about housing? Do you have to move off campus Soph yr? At what point during Freshman yr do you need to make plans for the following year?

@citymama9 You do not ever have to move off campus but I would say most students do eventually.

Housing registration for sophomore year happened in November. My daughter opted to stay on campus. Students can “contract” to stay in their same dorm room unless they are “displaced”. DD lived in the honors college residence this year but was displaced for next year to make room for the freshman. Displaced freshman got priority registration and she’s living in Windsor next year, directly behind where she is living now. It was a pretty seamless process for DD. She and her roommate are already planning on contracting for their room to stay junior year.

As an FYI to everyone, there will be an admitted students and parents FB group that you will be invited to join. The parents’ group has admissions folks that actively participate and answer questions so lots of opportunities to get your questions answered directly from the university instead of just a mom like me ; )

@WImom2 So I was a mechanic by trade before deciding to attend Purdue and am basically tied to the automotive/heavy machinery industry. I discovered a concentration in Agricultural Engineering (Machine Systems Engineering) that I felt more closely related to my preferred industry than ME did. Also, ME is strictly academic, people there have fun by doing math and calculating trajectories. My department feels like its filled with people who i can relate to much more and I can actually have fun with. If your son decides to go into ME though, he will never have a problem finding employment and I am sure he will succeed. Good luck.

@citymama9 Housing situtations for sophomore year are usually worked out by December of your Freshman year. Housing is at a bit of a shortage and finding an apartment can be difficult if you wait for two long. I moved off campus sophomore year but was by no means obligated to do so. In case you are wondering about price, I walk about 10 minutes to campus everyday and pay around $405/month for an apartment that has utilities included. Quick tip for everyone who may be considering apartments: do not deal with granite student living, they are hell to deal with and will absolutely try to screw you over.

@afluffymuffin How hard was it to get into Mechanical Engineering from Exploratory?