Purdue v Texas A&M; is it worth it

<p>Well I doubt any one has had experience with both of these schools, but I guess it’s possible. I was admitted to both Purdue and Texas A&M with the intention of entering into chemical engineering. I live in Texas so A&M is a better deal by a good amount though I did get a scholarship from Purdue. I visited Purdue and it seemed like a better school, but it also seems to me that it’s almost impossible to judge accurately between schools based on a random visit.
Purdue is ranked higher in chemical engineering and engineering in general according to us news. Also I could manage Purdue financially I would just want to make sure it was worth it. </p>

<p>Would Purdue be that much better or are all of these large public engineering schools more or less the same?</p>

<p>haha. Dude I am almost in the same situation. I believe A&M and Purdue are similar, so I cant say its worth the extra price. I would go with A&M, but not sure. Hard choice for our major…</p>

<p>Help me out if you can… my thread is “UC’s vs Purdue”</p>

<p>I keep visiting A&M and all they keep showing me is graduate research labs. I think I’ve seen half the graduate engineering research labs at the university. They take us (I’ve been twice with groups) and show us some amazing lab and then tell us that a few undergraduates get to help out with research which I don’t care about anyways because I would probably enter a co-op program.</p>

<p>Purdue did much the same thing though they have been slightly more apt to show undergraduate facilities or talk about undergraduate classes.</p>

<p>Basically all I have is a ranking, the fact that Purdue seems to have more money, and people I talk to seem to have some general feeling that Purdue is better. Hmmm…</p>

<p>i personally dont think it worth a significant price difference, but with purdues generous out of state scholarships it could make the cost close, in which case i would go to purdue</p>

<p>Same choice my son is facing between Purdue AAE and UIUC Aerospace in state. He’ll be making a decision soon…</p>

<p>Wouldn’t Texas A&M be better in terms of finding a co-op/job in the future due to it’s location in Texas? Purdue has a higher ranking in Chem. Engineering and I do know that BP recruits every year but the location in Texas should have an advantage. I believe Indiana has a good number of plants that hire Chemical Engineers as well… Tough decision I must say… Does Texas A&M show the job placement % for students in Chemical Engineering and the average salary? Purdue has a site that shows both information on the CCO website if your interested.</p>

<p>^Hey Jimgotkp.</p>

<p>What if I wanted to live in CA, or kind of wanted to go to CA grad school; unless I got into some superior engineering grad schools OOS.</p>

<p>Is Purdue still a good pick?</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/purdue-university-west-lafayette/890889-ucs-vs-purdue.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/purdue-university-west-lafayette/890889-ucs-vs-purdue.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>I thought this a discussion of college basketball>.<</p>

<p>^ lol good call on that</p>

<p>so does purdue give more scholarship money to out of state students?? im in the same situation between purdue and university of illinois at chicago</p>

<p>In state get more money than OOS since it is a public school.</p>

<p>I know this is a little late but I actually had to make this same decision. I ultimately picked Purdue.</p>

<p>I absolutely love it here and I have been accepted into the Co-Op program. While it is selective if you apply and interview will it is very possible for you to get a job with the Co-Op program. My bestfriend goes to TAMU and she knows a ChemE who has to get a internship through his dad this summer because not that many ChemE companies want interns they much prefer Co-Ops and Purdue’s Co-Op program is much better then TAMU’s in my completely unbiased opinion. </p>

<p>Also Purdue’s first year engineering program is much more forgiving about letting you change your major within the engineering schools. At TAMU you immediately start taking ChemE classes where as at Purdue you take intro courses and declare your major at the end of the year.</p>