Purdue visit 4/2013

<p>So it just a matter of choice and what the company has to offer.</p>

<p>Thank you so much for all the information on coops. I was wondering about them as someone on one of the chats had said that it seemed to be difficult to secure as there were not that many opportunities. Then I met someone who has the same interests as my son and she said she did I think a 3 coop program and is a senior. Loves her company and the experience.</p>

<p>Some years they have had trouble filling the co-ops, there were more then there were students. The year my son interviewed was 2008 when the economy sank and they didn’t have as many co-ops.
As for storage during co-ops, there are storage units that they rented. I believe there are zip cars on campus to move them or like we did, we moved other kids stuff for them. and some of the co-ops are near by so she may be moving from one place to another.</p>

<p>I’m pretty sure both 5 term and 3 term co-ops generally graduate in 5 years total (barring credits from APs and such).
5 term: Start after freshmen year, nearly 2 years work experience.
3 term: Starts after Sophomore year, basically 1 year work experience.
So the 3 term option starts a year later and loses a year of work experience.
Click here: <a href=“Office of Professional Practice - Purdue University”>Office of Professional Practice - Purdue University;
and look at the 5-session and 3-session links on the left. There are basically example time tables for the sessions posted.</p>

<p>I’m an out of state student (New Jersey). I rent a Zipcar to move from dorm to storage unit. My dad drives up to help me move from Purdue to Chicago and back though. She could probably rent a U-haul to move to different cities for co-op. On co-op, I bring most of my stuff with me (bedding, pillows, duvet, clothing etc) and store the rest. Purdue has a lot of nearby storage places.</p>

<p>As for the “not a lot of opportunities to get co-ops,” the economy is growing again, but we were in a recession. Civil engineering got hit pretty hard from what I heard, not sure about others. Aero engineers were offered pretty much 2 positions last year for like… 50 applicants? They ended up applying for Mech E co-ops (and succeeding, might I add).
You won’t be guaranteed a co-op. It’s applying for a job. 7 openings, 50+ applicants… you can do the math. If you want a co-op, have a stellar GPA and some significant engineering club stuff on your resume (insert other generic advice here). That’s all I can say really.</p>

<p>HI,</p>

<p>My daughter will be travelling alone on Aug 10. Is there any chance she can hook up with your daughter on this trip? Much appreciated. </p>

<p>In addition, where should my AJ go to buy her pillows/comforters/hampers and all those bigger item stuffs? She does not drive. </p>

<p>-katalina (worring mom)</p>

<p>kjong58,</p>

<p>You mentioned upstream about only red flights into Indianapolis. If you haven’t purchased your ticket already, check out Frontier Airlines. I use them almost exclusively from PDX because I like their flight times.</p>

<p>August 10th
Portland OR (PDX) - Denver CO (DEN) - Indianapolis IN (IND)
Depart: 06:10 AM
Arrive: 02:40 PM
$323.00</p>

<p>Lafayette Limo leaves IND at 4:30 PM and arrives at Memorial Union at 6:00 PM. There’s still plenty of light to safely walk to the dorms.</p>

<p>Kjong: Is your daughter going to BGR? They have 2 or 3 late night shopping events at Meijer, Walmart or Target last I remember. She could buy it then. Or she can take a bus to Walmart or Target by herself and carry stuff around. Or, if you don’t mind paying a bit more money and she has a drivers license, look into Zipcars. Using Purdue’s college plan, an 18 year old can rent a car (I think, read up on it).</p>

<p>Lafayette Limo should have a stop by Follettes Purdue West? That’s closer to a lot of the dorms, easier to walk.</p>

<p>Shuttle Service question: EAC is the one you should stay with . My daughter tried both EAC and Lafayette Limo, the LL was 2.5 hours late when she took it from campus to airport. Luckily, we planned it with 4 hours so she did not miss her flight. This was during Winter break and on graduation day!</p>