Purdue vs. KU

<p>Hello,</p>

<p>I am currently deciding on where I will spend the next 4-5 years of my life, and I just wanted some more opinions to shape my final decision. All replies (except disparaging ones XD) appreciated! </p>

<p>I have narrowed my college selection down to Purdue University vs. University of Kansas (KU).</p>

<p>My major is Chem/Pharma/Biomed Engineering</p>

<p>Here are the arguments for both:</p>

<p>Purdue:
Pros: Great Academics, Connections, top-ranked program, guaranteed job placement after graduation, research and internship opportunities, nice-looking campus, (any more that could sway me towards it would be great), curriculum gives me a bunch more preparation in my field than KU's curriculum.
Cons: Outrageous out-of-state tuition, academic programs are apparently REALLY difficult, 5 years of college instead of 4 = higher tuition cost, weather is really cold (and I'm a summer person lol), low chances of transfer from KU to Purdue</p>

<p>In-depth:
-I have a drive to be a good engineer, but I also try to be really sociable. I don't want to go insane due to too much studying, and that's a factor playing into my concerns with Purdue. To all you current-Purdue engineering students, do you find it hard to maintain a balance between your social life and your academics?
-In terms of academics, while I am a good student, I am never at the top of the top; I'm in the upper ranks, but not that high. Current students, how do you find your success rate to be, as in like do you feel like I would be able to succeed academically at Purdue based on the above information?
-Is the high tuition cost really worth it?
-Is the CITY LIFE good? I saw West-Lafayette -- didn't look remarkably amazing to me. I know the people there said it's good for history buffs-that's not me. I'm more of a fine arts person, that also wants a good sub-urban (not suburban-rural area lolol) atmosphere. You know, lively, upbeat, stuff to do, etc. Do you think my wants can be satisfied with the University and the city?
-To current Engineering students: overall, do you find it a lot harder here to manage your time effectively? Do you feel like the cost of your education has given you a good edge in your future career? Would you have rather gone somewhere else?
-Finally, I know that as soon as I come out of Undergrad, I'm going to be looking for a job; I also have plans for a graduate degree. I know that sometimes the more difficult universities prepare you for life beyond college, and so I understand the importance of growing up past the undergrad parties and all that, and getting ready for the professional world. Bearing this final point in mind, would all of you that are preparing a (dis-)recommendation still stick to your original view?</p>

<p>NOTE: one argument FOR Purdue that I thought about was the fact that I wasn't accepted to many other top schools like this one, and that if I go to a different university, I might not get admission again next time if I find Purdue better.</p>

<p>KU:
Pro: Close to home, cost is SUPER-CHEAP, nice-looking campus as well, okay academic programs (nowhere near as great as Purdue), high chances of transfer from Purdue to KU, good college town, weather is slightly less cold :), honors program is accessible
Cons: Not a really good program-was concerned by the lack of courses in regards to Purdue that I get for my field (the ENG program is great, no doubt, I just am not sure that it can help me with my biomedical chem focus), probably can't transfer to Purdue if I decide it's better, job placement still worries me, not as focused on academics as Purdue is</p>

<p>In-depth:
-I feel like KU gives me a better college experience in terms of student life, but not as great academics as I would want, and I know that even though fun is great, the main reason I'm going to college is for a good education and to get a job. As such, that's mainly why I'm leaning away from KU, considering the field I'm going into requires a top-notch background.
-I also know that if I go to KU, I might be able to start my graduate school as soon as possible. I don't know if that's a path I am going to choose, and so any advice from people in that position on how it's shaping up would be greatly appreciated.
-Overall, I think KU would give me the better 4 years, while Purdue would give me a better life.</p>

<p>These assumptions are all relative; if anyone has a comment about it, or would like to call these views into question, go ahead! I need as much advice and knowledge as I can get! :D</p>

<p>So, which will it be? Any help is greatly appreciated!</p>

<p>Not a college student but I can tell you that it is not that cold in Indiana… I live in the nw part of Indiana near Chicago and this week temp average is around 70 (did I mention it is still winter). Usually it don’t get that warm till late April.
And yes some of my family members who went to purdue did mention that they grade very hard and all. </p>

<p>But enough bias and more facts:
Pros of both:
-Both are in midwest so you won’t have to worry about being TOO far from home.
Pros of Purdue:
-stronger learning college
-suburban setting (if you’re the type of person who is fine living in a smaller city
-lots more people- meaning easy to quickly finds people who share your interest
Cons: lots more people- might fill crowded at times (maybe)
-68% accepted last year
-I agree that the out of state is outrageously pricey.</p>

<p>Pros of KU: 93% admitted last year (I found out on college board)
-Waayy easier to get into
-reasonably priced rooms
-less people (but lose that sense of overcrowding)
Cons: less people than purdue
Not as life-impacting as purdue would be
closer to home (as you mention)</p>

<p>Cons of both: seriously dull and plain states</p>

<p>Had you look into the type of dorm offered and what they are like? You could still visit anytime at this rate.
But I’m still trying to infer whether you are applying or accepting???</p>

<p>Oh, oops yeah forgot to say; yes I’ve been accepted to both. I’m just finishing deciding.</p>

<p>Thanks for your answers, Descuff! I really appreciate the feedback! I’m glad that I’m not going into a nowhere-place XD </p>

<p>Anyone else? Aside from demographics, I could really use some information about the social life of the average engineering individual! :)</p>

<p>So I’m a freshman engineering student at Purdue. And one of my good friends is from Kansas, but he hates KU with a passion. Not really important. </p>

<p>First semester was good to me. I took calc 1 to get a better understanding of the material. And I already had taken ap chem before college chem, so it was a lot of high school review for me. It gave me time to establish a group of friends: both ones I’m 100% social with and ones to do honework with. I joined a sorority and found a group of friends to go out with. This semester is harder. But I still usually get like 6 hours of sleep and go out once per weekend. And sporting events? Super fun. </p>

<p>I can’t really comment on the cost as I’m in state with a scholarship, and the only thing I really considered financially was dorm life. But if you have any more questions, let me know!</p>

<p>naturaldistaster
Thank you for your comments. Since you are from Indiana I have a question I would like to piggyback on this topic. Can you give any insight into the weather and the campus? </p>

<p>like xman15 my son is going between to universities Purdue for its engineering and Baylor. Baylor has many of the same pros as KU but it is sunny and warm almost year round. We are up in the northwest and he is ready to get away from the rain and gray days. </p>

<p>So does it get really cold and snowy and how far are the dorms from the classrooms? Are there dorms that are closer to the engineering bldgs? He is also possibly going to join the greek system. Are the homes far off campus? The weather is unfortunately a pretty big factor for my son.</p>

<p>xman15 this was a great read. You sound so much like my son and going through the same questioning. He too wants a social life and to do well in school. He is not at the top of his class grades-wise but is up towards the top. He has realized that he is smarter than his grades show and is truly dedicated to doing well in college.</p>

<p>Thank you for any additional input.</p>

<p>Most of the dorms are fairly far from the campus, especially engineering. I live in Earhart, and my closest class is in Beering and about a 10 minute walk away. Engineering is close to 20 for me. But if your son gets to live in Owen or Cary or Tarkington, both or which are close to campus, then walking will be cut down. However, there’s a fantastic bus system that’s free to students that I utilize when heading from the dorm to Armstrong. </p>

<p>Not going to lie, this was a very wild winter. I only went sledding once. Weather isn’t as huge of a factor due to the buses, but it does get cold. I think it’s sunny more so than rainy and dreary. At least that’s how I feel. I feel as though we get less snow here than the northeast, but it still gets cold. </p>

<p>With fraternity and sorority life, there are several houses that are within a few blocks from campus. There’s even a few that are under a block away that come to mind. And even if your son doesn’t find himself fitting into a fraternity that is so close to campus, all of the houses end up in close proximity to a campus loop (either bronze or tower acres). </p>

<p>I think I covered everything you mentioned. If there’s anything else, let me know.</p>

<p>Thank you very much for your insight, naturaldisaster! LOL you have a friend who hates KU? Must be a K-stater than hahahaha XD Anyway thanks for the info, because now I know I’m not going to go insane with the workload that Purdue will give me. </p>

<p>I must add, that when I visited Purdue, it was simply cold. It wasn’t grey and dreary, etc., it was just so cold! XD In fact, the sun came out quite a lot–it was quite pleasant. In light of that, I feel like it’s definitely not a depressing place for people like me who appreciate sunlit days rather than cloudy and gray days. For the cold, just wear a good jacket XD. </p>

<p>CrusaderMom: thanks for also furthering the discussion; it helped me get a better visual of what I, and your son, would be launching into :)</p>

<p>Thanks for all the input! My final consideration factor is the value of the tuition: to any current Purdue student that is classified as out-of-state, do you feel like you are getting your money’s worth?</p>

<p>Thanks a bunch again for all the responses! As evidenced by CrusaderMom, I’m not the only person who appreciates the feedback.</p>

<p>xman15 have you made a decision yet? I forwarded this thread to my son and he did think you two sounded so much alike. He appreciated all of the comments. He is still on the fence since he is waiting for Vanderbilt and USC. Those are much more expensive and he will graduate with a significant amount of debt to attend those schools.</p>

<p>I do think if it is between Baylor and Purdue he will go to Purdue. He realizes that graduating with an engineering degree from Purdue will be beneficial right out of school. The job placement from Purdue is also very impressive.</p>

<p>How about between Purdue and Vanderbilt University? A full ride for Vanderbilt but a $13,000 for Purdue per year for engineering? please help me to decide.Thank ahead for your insight. I am into computer engineering or electric engineering.</p>

<p>vanderbilt. a full-ride at a school like that is a no-brainer. you will be just fine with internships, jobs, and grad school. don’t even hesitate. go commodores!</p>