Purdue vs UC system

<p>what are the advantages of going to Purdue and in majoring in electrical engineering/(or) electrical engineering w/technology over a UC such as Irvine, Davis, or Riverside (same major, EE)? what are the prospects of attending a school like Purdue and spending $34K a year compared to these UCs?</p>

<p>yeah will be great if someone share this knowledge</p>

<p>Well It depends what you are looking for. I considered going to the UCs out of state, and compared to Purdue (also out of state) financially was no different. That said, I have loved every minuet here in the mid west. If you want to get out of the Californicated west coast and get one of the best engineering educations around, strongly consider Purdue. I find that if you want to eventually go back and get jobs in the west, in my opinion, a Purdue education has a traditionally better reputation than any of the UCs besides maybe Berkley. </p>

<p>-Sophomore, College of Mechanical Engineering, Originally from Nevada</p>

<p>yeah but the only thing is that im fiancially held back :(, did you get any aid, if so how much?</p>

<p>can purdue grads find good jobs in Illinois?</p>

<p>are purdue degree well known in the midwest cities?</p>

<p>No aid whatso ever, since I didn't break the 1400 of 1600 SAT barrier, GPA was a weighted 4.36. Paying out of pocket with a little help from some local scholarships ive picked up. </p>

<p>You will be able to find a job wherever you want to work geographically, a Purdue BS in any engineering discipline with decent grades can do wonders. Most of the engineering in the midwest is manufacturing based, so there are a lot of jobs in that sector. Im more design/test oriented, so Ill probably head out of here once I graduate.</p>

<p>ic...
clrlake, have u done any internship yet?</p>

<p>I had an internship last summer with Digital Solid State Propulsion, a small Aerospace startup company in Reno, Nevada. This summer I have a ten week internship with Ball Aerospace in Boulder Colorado.</p>

<p>It depends which UC campus......I personaly think UC Berkeley UCLA UCSD are defintely better than Purdue</p>

<p>Purdue is ranked 64th by US News while Davis and Santa Barabara are at 47th, Irvine at 44nd, and Berkeley/LA in the typical top spots.</p>

<p>Source: <a href="http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/brief/t1natudoc_brief.php%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/brief/t1natudoc_brief.php&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>The U.S. News Rankings you referred to were the overall school rankings. The following are the rankings for Engineering overall, and Electrical Engineering:</p>

<p>OVERALL
1. Massachusetts Inst. of Technology 4.8
2. Stanford University (CA) 4.7
2. University of California?Berkeley 4.7
4. California Institute of Technology 4.5
4. University of Illinois?Urbana-Champaign 4.5
6. Georgia Institute of Technology 4.4
6. University of Michigan?Ann Arbor 4.4
8. Carnegie Mellon University (PA) 4.3
8. Purdue University?West Lafayette 4.3
10. Cornell University 4.2
11. Princeton University (NJ) 4.1