Purdue vs. UCSD for engineering

<p>The price I'm going to pay for either will be the same. I hear that Purdue has more of a national reputation, whereas UCSD regional. UCSD has a more laid back atmosphere and nice weather, which I like, but I have not yet visited Purdue. Which one should I pick?</p>

<p>If it were my choice, I would go to Purdue. I have never even heard of UCSD’s engineering program, whereas Purdue’s is ranked in the top 10 nationally.</p>

<p>Purdue can have a laid back atmosphere, it will just depend on who you are with. Weather-wise, the midwest tends to have nice seasons. I’m not saying they are great, but they are all there. Being from California, you will probably think the winter is miserable here, but it can be nice.</p>

<p>If size is a factor for you, Purdue is larger, not by much, but 10,000 might make a difference to some people.</p>

<p>It depends on what you want, if you want college for social aspects, go to UCSD, but if you want to go to college for engineering, go to Purdue. (Not that Purdue doesn’t have a social scene and UCSD engineering, but that is just the main difference between the two.)</p>

<p>I agree. I have visited UCSD and La Jolla, CA and San Diego are beautiful places and I would live there in a heartbeat. The weather is perfect there and the weather here is not so great most of the time. Purdue is also laid back, in my opinion. But literally everywhere I go someone asks me about Purdue (if I’m wearing Purdue attire). I don’t live in Indiana but when I go back home, I get asked what I’m studying at Purdue or if I’m in engineering at Purdue (I’m not), but it just shows how widely known Purdue is across the country.</p>

<p>You should definitely visit Purdue if you have a chance though and then decide; the two schools are very different and I think it would be hard to decide without seeing both.</p>

<p>You should choose the college that you believe is the right fit for you. </p>

<p>If you care more about the diploma and school name, I’d say come to Purdue. Purdue’s Engineering program is top notch and is well known nationally and internationally. </p>

<p>What exactly are you looking for in a college?</p>

<p>For prestigue, pick Purdue (but note the campus politics here are dull and it’ll make you feel like there are no protests on campus, very little LGBT, and it might make you feel like that people here are not aware of what is going on in the world other than football/basketball games.). For weather, pick UCSD, hands down. Weather patters at Purdue can fluctuate very greatly, you might have a sunny day one day and the next day it’s snowing. If you’ll be in California for your career, pick UCSD. Plus, you’ll save yourself some money for being in-state.</p>