Purdue vs. UIUC Computer Engineering

<p>I'm an international student currently attending high school in Kentucky. I just got in both schools and intended to major in computer engineering. Any comments (regarding to these two schools' research opportunities, co-op opportunities, job placements, campus atmosphere, dorms, or just anything) are appreciated! Which school has a better program in computer engineering? Also, which school has a more friendly atmosphere for international students?</p>

<p>Any comments are appreciated! Thanks in advance!</p>

<p>P.S. It's very likely that I will get a full ride at University of Kentucky. Should I consider that as an option, or is paying 40k a year at Purdue/UIUC worth the money? It's a big amount for my family, and we might even need to borrow some.</p>

<p>full-ride!</p>

<p>Is it true that if a computer engineering major goes on to grad school, he or she will get paid by the school? (because technically he or she is working for the professors…)</p>

<p>Taking the potential full ride aside, how would you compare the computer engineering program between UIUC and Purdue?</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>uiuc is way better than purdue, which is definitely better than uk. but i wouldn’t go into debt for a salable degree like that. clearly, you ought to do very well at uk for grad school. </p>

<p>in grad school, most schools will pay you tuition and a stipend for phd, not for ms.</p>

<p>Go for UK . You can always get into good grad colleges. But You need to perform extremely well in UK. </p>

<p>Good Luck !</p>

<p>@tarun2012, thank you for the reply! What do you mean by “perform extremely well in UK”? Like having a perfect GPA, awesome rec, good research opportunities? What factors determine a person’s chance to get into a top-tier grad school? </p>

<p>P.S. A few days ago I was noticed that I indeed got this UK’s full ride, which covers absolutely everything and gives me even extra cash…</p>

<p>I mean If you stay at the top of your class and are very well recognised by your professors who can provide you with recc letters , then you always have a high probabilty of getting good jobs.
And later you can surely get into good grad colleges when you tell them the story of your life. They’ll surely be moved.
Or What you can do is go to UK and then apply for transfer next year to good colleges and see if you are getting scholarships from them. But remember you should perfrom really well in your freshmen year.</p>

<p>Good Luck !</p>