Purdue Vs UT Austin for Aerospace Engineering, Under Graduate

Hello, Im a HS Senior from Dallas, TX. Extremely passionate about aerospace and very serious about getting the best education possible. Im also more of the research and development type and want to access labs and research centers even during my undergraduate years once I have proved my mettle. Please consider be as a very committed, serious, future aerospace engineer. That being said, I have got offers from both UT Austin and Purdue University for Engineering. UTA is instate for me and therefore I save on tuition fees. BUT, that thankfully is not a big deal for me as my dad will sponsor my college completely. I have visited UT Austin and Purdue. I like Purdue a lot, i like the Neil Armstrong Hall of Engineering, Purdue’s legacy in aerospace, their labs et all. In US News rating for whatever its worth, Purdue is just one point up from UT Austin in terms of Aerospace Engineering. I know for sure from many other forums that both colleges are good. Assuming instate tuition fees saving is NOT a big deal, what is that “Extra” that I will get in Purdue in terms of education? Purdue seems to have on paper better labs and research centers than UT Austin (Mach 7 vs. Mach 5 wind tunnel), or, propulsion lab which Purdue has and UT Austin seems to be a NASA JPL partner, they don’t seem to have a Propulsion research center (unless I have been educated wrongly). Can any one help me understand is there anything strikingly special in Purdue for someone like me? Purdue being in a rural area surrounded by corn fields and UT Austin being a booming metro is not a big deal for me. I’m fun loving, but not the aggressive party type and whatever events that are in college like sports, or, music is more than enough. But, Purdue will mean more dollars for my dad and me living in harsh winter for 4-5 months a year compared to Austin. Is it really worth it? Please help me here. I will really appreciate your inputs. Thanks.

Will appreciate inputs. Thanks.

Tuition may not be a big deal to you, but trust me as a parent – it will make a difference. Both schools are well ranked and fantastic in engineering. But Austin is so much nicer and more interesting culturally than Purdue. I would save your folks a few bucks and go to the Texas. You’ll get the same level education in a better setting.

If you’re from the city, trust me, there’s nothing fun about getting thrust in the middle of moo-cow country! You will get bored very very fast! Plus, if you need to get a part time job, like college students do when they get a girlfriend, it’s easy to find one in Austin. Purdue, not so much. I would go for UT!

I am in a similar situation as I am from Dallas as well. Also, I am studying chemical engineering. I received a scholarship from Purdue, so the cost is the same for me to attend UT Austin and Purdue. Purdue gave me honors while UT Austin did not.

Do you have any input on which to choose?

@confused6789 first of all congrats on getting into two terrific engineering programs. If the cost is truly the same, it’s really a toss-up. Have you visited both. As I mentioned above, two very different vibes and locations. If so, did you love me one over the other?

@hoosierdaddy18 I have visited both and love both of them. Granted there are concerns at each such as getting locked out of classes at UT. I am just looking for more opinions on the different programs.

I have visited both UTA and Purdue. For Aerospace, Purdue looks and works great - their Neil Armstrong facility is top class, the infrastructure is good, the Purdue airport and the wind tunnels they have there is class act. But, that’s all in middle of cornfields and if external environment wont affect one much, then Purdue is a good option. The same is also true for most engineering facilities being close by and well connected. Now, when i visited UTA, their aerospace program is good, but, the infra is minimal and to some extent looks outdated. I also understand most UTA undergraduates go to the Top 5 to do graduate work - meaning that while they have a good UG program, their graduate program is NOT that good enough. My alignment is more with Purdue even though UTA is in state for me. Other than the new Makers Studio building which is new and great, rest of UT Austin Aerospace was very average. Not being judgmental. Just my two cents.

@AeroSpace Enthusiast I could not agree more! I have now visited both. The thing that is making me lean towards Purdue is that every building looks new on the outside and the inside despite the age of the school. At UT the buildings are nice on the outside, but get an older vibe on the inside with the exclusion of the brand new engineering building. The other note is that Purdue is in a rural environment. I am very much a city person; however, the small town surrounding Purdue I found very nice. Also, Purdue is centrally located from 2 cities: Chicago and Indianapolis.

I personally would chose Purdue, but both are great programs. If you can visit both, and you will know after that which one you like more.

I’m a UT-Austin grad and my daughter will be enrolling at Purdue this August… so I’m sort of in the middle on this topic. Purdue is called the astronaut’s school as many have attended the school; including the first and last man to walk on the moon. Amelia Earhart also taught at the school. Purdue’s engineering is extremely competitive. UT has top notch engineering programs as well with strong connections to NASA in the Houston area. West Lafayette is quaint with most social activities occurring on campus while Austin, as I’m sure you know, is young and lively with lots of music and an average of 300 days of sunshine. I don’t think you can go wrong either way… pursue your dreams and recognize that it’s wonderful to have choices.