Purdue waitlisted. Can I get in?

I got Purdue’s decision today and I didn’t get my major. My major is cs. I was asked to chose an alternate major or be waitlisted for my preferred major. I chose waitlist. Two of my friends in my class got in with their preferred major. Another person whose scores were better than theirs was not accepted but he got the same options as me. What is this? I don’t understand. For me Purdue is my first choice. What are my chances of getting in from waitlist?

To get a coarse sense of your chances you can contact Purdue admissions and ask them how many kids were on the CS waitlist last year and how many were ultimately taken from it. They may not be willing to release this information though.

In general things don’t sound great. Rather than the deferring you and comparing you against all of the regular applicants for CS they have essentially said they expect to find kids they like better in that pool and you stand in line after them

@pat07ek MY D is in the same boat as well. How did you choose to be wait listed? We can’t find on our portal an option to wait list. There is a major change form, but we don’t want to change major, simply chose to wait list.

Never mind…talked to an admissions counselor and found how to wait list. Apparently it is almost a zero chance of moving off wait list. Anyway, we will just choose to wait list. There’s nothing to lose, but we at least know Purdue is off our list.