Purdue with no scholarship or Iowa State with a great scholarship

<p>The basic question..</p>

<p>Is a Purdue education for engineering worth $140,000??</p>

<p>bump. bump. I have the same question!</p>

<p>Here’s my view on the subject:</p>

<p>Engineering is a very in-demand field right now. It all depends on if you have a specific place in mind where you want to work or if you’re content with working at pretty much any engineering job. I don’t know anything about Iowa State or it’s reputation, but just for comparison’s sake I’ll say it’s a pretty decent school with an engineering program of average reputation. Having said that, getting a degree from Purdue will just about let you choose where you want to work. A degree from Iowa State would get you into an engineering job somewhere for sure, but you may have to put in a little more effort to get a specific job.</p>

<p>I don’t know if that made sense at all, but there it is. Given my particular situation and career goals, not to mention getting the collective middle finger from Purdue on scholarship money, I decided not to attend Purdue. Instead I’ve chosen to go to a local university of about 10,500 enrollment with essentially little to no engineering reputation. They have offered me over 100% of tuition in scholarships, and I will be able to graduate with a bachelor’s plus a minor with no debt. I don’t think there’s one answer that fits everyone. Just don’t feel like you won’t get a great job if you don’t go to Purdue.</p>

<p>Iowa State has a chemistry nobel prize winner in 2011 who is working in the materials engineering dept.</p>

<p>Purdue has 7 Nobel Prize winners I believe, but that’s pretty irrelevant since you probably will never work with them, but it really comes down to if you want to go to a world renowned Engineering school, or Iowa State…</p>

<p>any engineering degree will get you A job, but maybe not the best job. big companies go to places like purdue to recruit because they know what it takes to get through it.</p>