Quarter Credits

<p>Does anyone have experience with transferring quarter dual enrollment credits to UA? I have quite a few because a lot of my state’s schools are on the quarter system. Also, should they transfer, would I be able to use the credits as prerequisites when scheduling at Bama Bound? I’ve made my major biology and I would really like to get out of gen chem so that I can move onto classes that will actually pertain to my major. Any help would be appreciated!</p>

<p>All of my dual enrollment credits were from schools on the quarter system. The standard conversion is that 1.5 quarter credits are equal to 1 semester credit. Your standard 5 credit class from a school on the quarter system will transfer as 3 credits to the UA course and 0.3 credits of 197 (elective) credit. I don’t have experience transferring over lab science courses, but UA is usually very generous with its transfer credit policies.</p>

<p>UA has a neat tool that shows course equivalencies for a number of colleges throughout the US and Canada. Remember that not all courses may be listed as you may be the first person to attend UA after taking that specific course and that there is no guarantee that your courses will transfer as listed. Generally speaking, you will probably get transfer credit and will be able to skip some introductory courses. If the computer will not let you register for a certain course even though you have satisfied the prerequisite, contact an academic advisor for an override.</p>

<p>Thanks! How long does it generally take them to inform you of your credit after you send the CC transcript?</p>

<p>It depends on the classes. Some might be transferred before your Bama Bound session and some might not. I had a few electives that didn’t appear on my UA transcript until September. That said, have a list of the courses you’ve taken and bring it with you to Bama Bound to show the academic advisor during registration. To see what courses have transferred, you can always go on myBama and look at your unofficial transcript.</p>

<p>thanks again and sorry but a couple last questions lol… did you just mail your transcript in to the same place that the transfer students mail theirs? and do they automatically try to transfer all of your credits? I have A LOT of them… I’ve been taking dual enrollment classes since my freshman year. I’ve gotten all A’s but i’m not exactly sure I even want credit for elementary algebra lol.</p>

<p>Bama tries to accept all your credits. So, don’t worry about that.</p>

<p>Have your college credits transfered to Bama as soon as possible so that they can evaluate them and credit them.</p>

<p>Yes, you’ll be able to register for the next level of courses.</p>

<p>YJ430,</p>

<p>I have been admitted as a freshman with 102 credits, also from dual-enrollment classes. To avoid any possible glitches during registration, I decided to be proactive and sent an email to the Transfer Credit Department which included the name, address, phone of the college, that the college was on the “quarter” system, and a list of the courses not in the database (included official name of course, transcript name of course, department, course number, and credits). </p>

<p>Quarter units transfer to semester units by a factor of .66 (5 quarter units X .66 conversion = 3.33 semester units), meaning 3 units for the course and an additional .33 units as an elective (like SEA_Tide said). The .33’s add up!</p>

<p>They told me to NOT mail my transcript right now…that it won’t officially be converted at this time.</p>

<p>PNW…are you coming to Bama?</p>

<p>:)</p>

<p>PNW, congratulations on coming in with 102 credits (here I thought my 75 hours was a lot). Will you be entering with an associate’s degree? I’ve probably mentioned this to you before, but definitely consider the University Scholars program so you can earn a master’s degree. UA will gladly work with you on creating an academic program that best suits your academic needs and desires.</p>

<p>Scholars program so you can earn a master’s degree.</p>

<p>Very good suggestion.</p>

<p><a href=“http://graduate.ua.edu/info/scholarsprog.pdf[/url]”>http://graduate.ua.edu/info/scholarsprog.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>@M2CK
Alabama is still high on my list! I’m waiting to see what happens with my finalist status for Georgia Tech’s President’s Scholarship and a couple other merit offers.</p>

<p>@SEA_tide
No, I am purposely not getting an AA. A University of Washington engineering advisor told me to focus on transferable credits. I spent a lot of time researching possible college curriculums and transfer credits during my freshman and sophomore year, but it was time well spent and, ultimately, great advice! All of my credits (except for 3) will transfer to every college to which I have applied. Alabama even transfers my college GPA…so I’ll be starting out with a solid 4.0.</p>

<p>The University Scholars Program is but one of many reasons why Alabama is high on my list. If all goes well, I should be able to get my masters in 4 years without a horribly heavy workload or take 5 years to keep my GPA high.</p>

<p>I’ve been practicing my “Roll Tides” on my mom. She groans at my fake Southern accent!</p>

<p>LOL…</p>

<p>Did you see the Roll Tide commercial?</p>

<p>Speaking of commercials…I just saw an ESPNU commercial and it featured a Facebook app where you build your own College Town. It used Bama and Bryant Denny as the example. LOL </p>

<p>Auburn must be so annoyed that even tho they won the championship this year, ESPN keeps featuring Bama.</p>

<p>PNW, that was good advice from the UW engineering advisor. I know that UA doesn’t care too much about freshman students having an AA/AS/AAS, but other schools do.</p>

<p>I’m not sure of what classes you have credits in, but I’m betting that UA would be willing to let you do more than a BS/MS combo. If you haven’t talked to him already, Dr. Sharpe would be happy to offer you suggestions about your best plan. Once again, congratulations on being able to transfer 102 credits. I’m a big supporter of Running Start and would like to see more states offering similar programs.</p>

<p>PNW…</p>

<p>What classes do you have credits for? Are any 300/400 level?</p>

<p>Is this something that we should be working on now so they are in for 'bama bound? Do we send them to the registrar?</p>

<p>As far as University Scholars- I don’t see a program for S’s major Psychology, but find it hard to believe as they do have a masters program I think. S will be entering with around 30 credits (only !) if it all works out. Guess he could dual major/minor if they don’t have one. This is an interesting option though. I guess we will see how it all goes. I guess you have to balance the pre-planning with allowing changes/choices to be made. You just don’t want to limit your choices later by not looking into all these things.</p>

<p>ldinct: Just because psychology is not included in University Scholars now, that does not mean that it will not be added at a later date. Every year, a program or two seems to be added.</p>

<p>I don’t see why a student couldn’t request that a major be added to the Scholars program…such as Psych.</p>

<p>another quick question… if the courses end up being evaluated as an elective, could they still be counted towards the core curriculum. For instance, if I had HY 197 three credits, would I not have to take history?</p>