Quarter System vs. Semester for Kids with ADHD/EF Issues?

One of my daughter’s good friends is on the quarter system and indicated that he and many of his schoolmates have huge issues with internships. If they’re not west coast based, they assume the student will be available by beginning of June at the latest. They’re just not setup to accommodate a mid-June to mid-September break. I’m sure it’s much easier for more typical summer jobs - but for formal internships it can absolutely be a barrier.

3 Likes

Yes, quarter system has a 10 week fall quarter, and then an almost 21-22 week stint from Jan to June with one week spring break. DU (in my neighborhood) started on Jan 3, had MLK day off but not President’s. It has a one week spring break the last week of March, and then1 10 weeks plus 4 days of finals until June 10 graduations. Did have memorial day off. They don’t have an Easter break since it isn’t a religious school.

Just saying that the break between winter and spring quarters is very short and those wanting to ‘refresh’ may not find it enough time. Those in semester schools are also getting a week spring break and many now also get a week fall break.

DU’s graduation was June 10 and CU’s was May 11, an entire month earlier. Around here, summer really starts on or before Memorial day and summer internships, ranch jobs, life guards, etc, all start early and end mid-Aug. School districts all end by the first week of June, many in May. DU is just on a different schedule than almost every other school in the area. Even CC with its block scheduling was out in May.

My niece’s quarter system school has a two week spring break between the winter and spring quarter so there felt like a real reset.

My D’s semester school had just a week for spring break and since it is the middle of the semester, she always had work to do and inadvertently exams to study for.

I will say that it seemed like my niece was going from one exam period to the other on the quarter system and there is no room for falling behind. She says it feels intense.

1 Like

If DU added another week to ‘spring break’ then they wouldn’t get out till June 15 or later. That may seem normal on the east coast but around here that’s like going to summer school.

I think most students get used to the academic calendar their school runs on. If it’s semesters…they know when school breaks are, and when school starts and stops. If it’s quarters, they know when the school breaks are and when school starts and stops.

As someone who did both (back in the Stone Age) I really think both have their upsides and their downsides.

3 Likes

I tend to agree with this, unfortunately, he’s not interested into small liberal arts schools. He wants a school that is mid-sized (5-15 k). I’m having him look into smaller cohorts within those schools, and how the advising/support is as well. Thanks for the ideas.

2 Likes

Thanks, yes, I will say “easier said than done.” He’s been taught to self-advocate for years (the school is very into this), it’s just a matter of follow-through and remembering to go to the meetings he’s set up. Again, I think with 8 courses a semester, it has been a lot for him to manage, and meeting with each core teacher a week to “check-in” has proven burdensome. As a parent, who has a job and lots of other s*** on her plate, I have found it exhausting “managing” his disability, so we have attempted as best as we could to empower him to take action on his own with just our “support.” I’m hoping with more growth and maturity this year he will be ready to go by fall 2024!

2 Likes

Some folks here have reported hiring executive functioning coaches for their college kids. I don’t have personal experience with this…but maybe someone will comment.

Some students with ADHD/EF manage college course schedules and deadlines well. Others have more difficulty because courses don’t meet daily, and there is an expectation that students will manage their time NOT in classes well.

If this student has an IEP in his high school, I would strong’y suggest that this become a very integral part of their transition plan. Beginning….now.

Of the student has a 504 accommodation plan, ditto, get some transition planning into the accommodations.

The type of schedule might matter, but the way a student manages their weekly time is very important.

And asking for help before it’s too late is important too.

Kids brain maturity does happen but look at the book I suggested up thread to you. It’s all on time management. Great section on procrastination and how to actually study more effectively. It’s a blueprint for Adhd /Ef kids /Adults. Forget the title of the book. I compared lots of the strategies to books on Adhd. This I think is better. The process is easy but I would have him read it now to practice. He can just start with his everyday schedule. Read it yourself. It’s a quick kinda fun /entertaining read. But very effective.

Semesters also end the school year earlier and kids can easily get internships and study abroad opportunities with ease.

I don’t know what your son’s particular interests are, but have you looked into Marshall (WV)? It has about 8k undergrads and is well-known for its support services. Additional info is available here: https://www.marshall.edu/help/college-h-e-l-p/

1 Like

Is this the same kid who was interested in USC?

He’s been working with an EF coach since 8th grade. On and off, in school and outside, we’re now on our third one. The strategies just aren’t sticking. The most recent one is going to work with him this summer to get ready for the fall semester and of course, for college. If he’s not ready to go, he’ll take a gap year, and hopefully the school will defer his enrollment a year.

Thanks for this, I will definitely get it and check it out. I’ve sort of been throwing everything at the issue to see what sticks. Funny thing is he had an internship last summer and got rave reviews. He got up on time, got to work on time, did his assignments, participated in meetings, etc. I think focusing on one thing was very successful to him. I know there is Colorado College and some others which don’t fit the bill for a variety of reasons.

2 Likes

Hyperfocusing is a wonderful thing. Plus he was probably on a rigid, routine schedule. Routine is key. Using his phone and phone calendar for reminders can work well with other strategies.

Problem with EF coaching and throwing things at him to see what sticks, he has to want to play also. He must have a small clue what kinds of things work and don’t work well for him. He did great, it sounds like, in his internship. Build off of what worked for him. These kids can feel less then and their not. They usually think differently and this can be a huge advantage in many circles. It’s a gift not a negative. But, he has to want it then make goals /strategies to achieve it. Not everything will be successful. But that’s for everyone.

1 Like

@sflawyermom , perhaps you can help your son reflect on what made this recent experience successful and see if there are clues that will help choose a college.

If he liked interacting with people, it might suggest smaller classes or more experiential learning rather than large lectures, for example.

One thing that’s true for everyone is that they have to learn how to manage themselves, and this includes finding situations that cater to their strengths. . Folks with ADHD are no different, so developing this self-awareness is important. You sound really caring and tuned in so can probably be a good “guide”.

3 Likes

In terms of discuss quarter system vs. semester, some people have mentioned the 1-course at a time system that Colorado College and Cornell College (IA) both have. Well, I have found a third! U. of Montana Western is a publicly-funded residential college with about 1400 undergrads.

1 Like

And it’s important to remember that ADHD/EF is not the only defining characteristic of a kid.

Some are great at foreign languages (especially kids who are strong at auditory learning and seem to pick things up really easily that way; reading a spreadsheet? Not their thing). Some have strong artistic and musical talents. Some are great at pattern recognition.

It’s important to figure out your kids strengths- as well as their difficulties- before recommending which educational system or approach works better.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone who replied. Of course I know my kid if more than his ADHD/EF diagnosis, I was just musing whether or not one system would be better/worse than the other.

Anyone else out there have personal experience with this? Kid who has ADHD/EF issues and excelled or did not at either semester or quarter system, block schedule, other types of environments?

Thanks!

2 Likes

I have a family member with ADHD who strongly preferred a semester system (high school and grad school were). For undergrad at a trimester system, first trimester would go fine, then winter break for a nice reset, then second trimester OK, then the never ending slog of third trimester that led to a number of classes needing the third part retaken…the focus for what felt like a double-length semester just couldn’t be maintained.

The biggest problem areas were in classes where it was a full school year of the same subject, like Chemistry 1/2/3. There was not enough of a break between 2nd and 3rd trimesters so it just went on and on, way more than a spring semester would.

I would also note that they went to a school with extremely rigorous core requirements, not all of these being equally interesting to the student, and the ones not aligned with interests would especially drag on unbearably. So possibly a school on trimesters, but with less onerous core requirements, would not have been as bad.

3 Likes

Thank you, this is very helpful. He is looking at pretty rigorous schools as a physics major.

Just wanted to share that (last weeks?) episode of Your College Bound Kid talks about applying/attending college with ADHD/learning differences.

2 Likes