Question about a UA scholarship

<p>I saw the National Alumni Association Crimson Scholarship online, with requirements of: "To be considered for Crimson Scholarships, an applicant must be a first-time freshman, have a minimum 3.8 cumulative GPA (4.0 scale), a minimum 32 ACT or 1400 SAT [critical reading and math scores only], rank in the top 2% of their high school graduating class, and demonstrate extensive leadership. " </p>

<p>I meet all of the other criteria for consideration, but I was wondering if anybody had any examples of what would be viewed as “extensive leadership” in the context of the scholarship.</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>hi,</p>

<p>To be honest, very few OOS kids are considered for that scholarship…I think maybe one (at most) is awarded to an OOS student…and it’s never awarded to a NMF.</p>

<p>You’ve mentioned in another thread that you’re a likely NMF, so you wouldn’t be considered anyway since that is a huge scholarship.</p>

<p>Are you in Arizona? What was your PSAT?</p>

<p>For others who are reading this…generally if an OOS student were to be awarded one of these, chances are they would have a very high SAT/ACT and have the other necessary criteria. In recent years, Bama has been getting many, many apps from kids with perfect or near-perfect ACTs and SATs, so that ACT 32 wouldn’t likely be relevant unless the candidate is super-hooked. </p>

<p>An instate (non-NMF) might win one with an ACT 33 and the other criteria, but no guarantees. Frankly, most instate applicants that have an ACT 33+ probably also are NMF.</p>

<p>M2CK, what is looked at in consideration of this scholarship? Is it UFE or CBHP applications? Just wondering what the committee would look at in making their decision… And DS is OOS so probably not a strong candidate. Not NMF but strong SAT. Thank you!</p>

<p>^^^
That Crimson Alumni scholarship isn’t the same one that is awarded to 8-10 UFE students…which is the Academic Academic Elite.</p>

<p>Since typically the Crimson Alumni scholarship is only awarded to maybe one OOS student per year, it’s hard to know what the criteria is. One of the reasons why it’s not typically awarded to OOS students is because the OOS tuition and “credits exceeding 16 per semester” just costs too much money. This scholarship is managed by the Alumni (not the scholarship office) and they have a set budget. </p>

<p>In the past, those with really high SAT or ACT scores (like ACT 35/36 or SAT equivalent), have often been awarded an additional $4k per year on top of the Presidential (if they’re not already NMF or getting the engineering money.). Don’t know if they are selecting from those kids or what. I also don’t know if that additional $4k is for non-engineering STEM…that may be.</p>

<p>I have no idea if CBH/UFE would play a role in it. I guess it’s possible if a UFE/CBH student was highly desired and wasn’t getting the NMF scholarship, he/she might get some kind of recommendation to the Alumni group from the Honors College or something like that.</p>

<p>My D is a freshman this year. She received a Crimson scholarship for which priority is given to a student from our county (Madison, AL) or surrounding counties. There are two scholarships with this priority for our county. In prior year, only one was awarded. I don’t know if only one or both were awarded this year; have to wait for the Alumni Association’s annual report to be published.</p>

<p>She was non-NMF, 33 ACT, 4.0 (maximum high school gives), 100+ class average, section leader of high school band for 2 years, principal flute of local youth orchestra for senior year, very active in leadership roles with church youth group, youth rep to our church council (voting body) for 3 years, active in National Honor Society. She was also part of All-State band freshman, junior, and senior years. Senior year she was one of 7 finalists (from over 40-50 participants, can’t remember exact number) in the Super-Solo competition at All-State and also won our youth orchestra’s concerto competition, as well as making All- State Orchestra (only 2 flutes plus 1 piccolo player). She also attended several college honor bands senior year.</p>

<p>Hope this info helps!</p>

<p>I never saw any reference that the Alumni Association used information from Honors College applications when awarding the scholarship. Although, I suppose they could get that information from the Honors College for those that made their short list for consideration for the scholarships.</p>

<p>For the scholarship for our county, D had to write a one-page essay on financial need. She approached it from the perspective that her goal is to graduate debt-free, go straight to a doctoral genetics program from which she hopes to also graduate debt-free, so she’ll be in a position to give back to society financially right away (church and other charitable donations) instead of being locked in to paying back student loans. I don’t think the other Crimson scholarships required this essay.</p>

<p>Here’s the list of Crimson Scholarship recipients for the 2010-2011 year, taken from the Alumni Association’s financial report. I removed the students’ last names for privacy. All are from Alabama except the last one listed.</p>

<p>The following is a list of first-time recipients of alumni scholarships awarded for the 2010–2011 academic year. These scholarships are funded by membership in the National Alumni Association and investment of endowed funds. Students continuing on renewal scholarships are not listed. Hometowns are in Alabama unless otherwise noted.</p>

<p>James Maxwell Brown Crimson Scholarship
Olivia B, Troy
Rebecca C, Elkmont</p>

<p>Marine Brown Crimson Scholarship
Rebecca E, Demopolis</p>

<p>Kenneth M. Carnathan Crimson Scholarship
Elizabeth B, Gadsden
Jeffrey H, Indian Springs
Daniel M, Berry
Garrett T, Odenville</p>

<p>William C. Decas Crimson Scholarship
Peyton M, Millport</p>

<p>Steven V. Mitchell Crimson Scholarship (this is the one my D received this year)
Matthew R, Madison</p>

<p>National Alumni Association Past Presidents Crimson Scholarship
Hunter G, Hoover</p>

<p>Frank A. Nix Memorial Crimson Scholarship
Jonathan B, Lindenhurst, N.J.</p>

<p>Thank you for the help!</p>