Question about admission

Hey guys so I have a low GPA 2.8 I don’t know what the weighed is. I took 1 ap my sophomore year and I’m taking two now. I have a 2070 sat and I’m taking the act soon. And I have good EC’s and leadership. I’m also interning at Cisco over the summer. And I am taking 4 AP’s my senior year. What are my chances with a uc college? My dream has been to go to UCLA. And I write really good essays.

You need a minimum 3.0 to be considered as an in-state applicant - regardless of your SAT and essay. You’ll need substantially better to make it into any of the UCs. For UCM (the lowest threshold) you’d need 3.4 -3.6 to feel comfortable - even with your SAT.

If you want to head straight to a 4 year school, CSUs like Sacramento, Sonoma, Humboldt and possibly Chico.

Your other option is a CC then transfer via TAG (Transfer Guarantee) to a UC (not UCLA, UCB or UCSD) - you’ll need specific courses and you’ll need to maintain a 3.3 - 3.6 GPA depending on your major.

Either way - I’d encourage you to back off your senior year schedule. Your 12th grade GPA and course rigor will have no bearing on admission to any of these schools. You will have lots of distractions next year, don’t kill yourself with your schedule. Seriously, all it can do is hurt. If you get straight A’s, they won’t know. If you get a D in a required a-g course, your acceptance to a CSU will be withdrawn.

Broaden your perspective a bit, enjoy your senior year.

Good luck

Here is the UC/CSU GPA calculator: http://rogerhub.com/gpa-calculator-uc/

Take @NCalRent’s advice and consider some CSU’s or CC to get into your dream school. Remember UCLA grad school can always be an option. Good luck

@rjaybigss Depending on how good your essays are, as well as the difficulty of your course load and your major choice, you can definitely be admitted to a uc (assuming your uc gpa is above a 3.0). Though your chances of getting into a uc with a lower gpa are pretty low, it is not impossible. I got into ucla, ucr, and ucsc with a 3.23 uc gpa (though my uncapped was 3.7) and 2040 on my sat. Write good personal statements, and i think you still have a decent shot.

@DPattt this is kind of a old thread but i had a question about uc’s! I have almost the same stats as you, 3.25 uc gpa, 3.65 uncapped gpa, 3.8(highschool weighted) gpa, and 31 act which would be a 2060 on the sat. my personal statement is something along the lines of i want to major in rhetoric because my mom (who passed away after freshman year b/c of cancer) had the opportunity for free healthcare, and i was always grateful for that. so, i’d to become a lawyer to fight for basic human rights, such as quality health care. do you think i have a shot at ucla or ucb?

@cali166 yes, i definitely believe you have a chance. I’d say to stress exactly how this experience influenced your life and your major choice (which it sounds like you are doing already). Show them that you’re determined and convince them that you belong at their school. Good luck :slight_smile:

Very sorry to hear about your Mom, it is simply awful.

Nonetheless, I think UCLA and UCB are pretty unlikely with a 3.25 UC GPA. I encourage you to apply because you never know.

You’d probably make it into UCR, UCM and SDSU

Good luck .