Question about Alabama beaches in October

<p>I am hoping to get to the Texas A&M game in October to see my son one more time in the MDB. I was thinking of combining my trip to T-Town with a 4 or 5 day trip to the beautiful beaches of Alabama. It will just be myself and my husband. I have never been to that part of the state. I know there had been discussion on this board and I did do a search. They info is a few years old. Does anyone have an recommendations on which beach might be nice or a favorite hotel. I am a fan of VRBO so I may just try and rent a condo. We are just looking to relax and eat some good seafood. All input would be great. I am thinking of the week of October 19. Thanks.</p>

<p>Hard to believe my son is a senior. The time has gone so quickly. RTR’</p>

<p>We just spent 5 days in Gulf Shores! We have been going there for years and love Gulf Shores/Orange Beach. This trip we stayed in a 1BR, 2 BA at Royal Palms Condos in Gulf Shores and loved it. It is right next to the Gulf State Park fishing pier and has the most unobstructed views of the beach. We walked out on the pier and watched the fishermen one day. I spent the whole weekend photographing beautiful rainbows and sunsets! It has an outdoor pool/indoor pool, hot tub, fitness center, sauna, and steam room and is a fairly small complex that has a short, flat boardwalk. There are many units offered on VRBO and meyerre.com.</p>

<p>As far as eating, we love all of these: Original Oyster House, Mikee’s Seafood, Wolf Bay Lodge, Cobalt (pricey). Other places to check out are The Gulf, Cosmos, LuLu’s, The Hangout, Tin Top Restaurant, Tacky Jack’s. Most of these have on line menus to check out. It really depends on what you are hungry for!</p>

<p>Thanks so much Peachtide. That is exactly the kind of info I am looking for. It made me smile when I saw that you responded to my question. I believe you were pretty active on this board when I first started to inquire about Bama years ago. Sometimes it’s hard to believe my son’s journey is coming to the end. He is talking about grad school,so maybe I am in for a few more years of fun:) thanks again. I hope your family is well.</p>

<p>We’re heading down to Gulf Shores in early October, just DH and me. The kids may come down from T’town for the first weekend. I’ve only been down in the first half of October, when it’s usually still warm enough to get in the water a little bit. It’s a wonderful time to just sit on the beach and relax with a book or crochet project for me, while DH surf fishes. Generally good fish-catching weather, too.</p>

<p>Second weekend in October is the big shrimp festival, and rates go up for it. October - water is quite cool, but the beaches are very pleasant, as long as the weather is sunny. I’d love to go in October, but we always stuff going on. Also, there are hotels, but you pay almost as much for a hotel as a condo.</p>

<p>@hokiefan‌…yes, I have been around for a few years! My DD graduated in May and DS is a sophomore, so I still have a couple of years left! </p>

<p>Thanks for the replies. We are just wanting a place to relax and eat some good food. As I mentioned, we are hoping to combine this with a trip toT-town. From the research I 've done online, these beaches look great. I am from Virginia. Do these beaches have a similar feel to the Outer Banks or Wrightsville beach areas? From my reading it kind of reminds me of those 2 places. Thanks again. </p>

<p>@peachtide, best of luck to your family.</p>

<p>In Gulf Shores I would highly recommend staying at the Lighthouse. If it’s too windy on the beach the shape of the complex blocks the wind and cold by the pool. In Orange Beach we stay at Sea Chase but it’s been awhile since we’ve stayed there, been staying at the Lighthouse for years. Stayed one yr at the Royal Palms when it first opened and absolutely hated it so interesting that someone is recommending it. Pool would be shaded in the afternoon and was tiny. Rooms were small and they had a security guy who harassed everyone. Our Michigan group called him Barney Fife-we felt sorry for the condo owners as he was chasing everyone away. I’m sure he’s long gone but there are better choices in Gulf Shores. Tin Top is a favorite and Billy’s Seafood for Royal Red shrimp is a must! Unfortunately we are going to Siesta Key this year so going to miss my Royal Reds!</p>

<p>We have stayed at Lighthouse as well and it was great and definitely newer. Didn’t care much for the parking garage as it was difficult to park due to the size of our vehicle. However, that was a minor issue. The Lighthouse condos are about 200 sq. ft bigger, so would definitely be better for more people. The pool is shaded in the afternoon at Royal Palms and that may need to be considered for an October trip. It is rare to find a complex down there that doesn’t have buildings very close on either side and I think that is what made our trip to the Royal Palms more enjoyable this time. Also, it was the first time DH and I had ever gone by ourselves so that could have been part of it as well! The views from Royal Palms were spectacular! We also like the Sea Chase in Orange Beach. Our favorite 3 BR units are the corner units in White Caps/Bluewater because of their huge balconies.</p>

<p>Look up WaterColor…more of a feel like Wrightsville/Outer Banks</p>

<p>WaterColor is a farther drive from Tuscaloosa, but I have heard wonderful things about it! Also, for anyone going to Gulf Shores/Orange Beach the Baldwin Beach Express is now open and connects to the Foley Beach Express! It is wonderful as you skip all of the small towns, such as, Loxley, Robertsdale, etc. The speed limit is only 55, but almost no lights! It saved us time and I imagine it would save a ton of time in the summer crowds!</p>

<p>Thank you for all the help. Still waiting to hear about the fb tickets. Once that piece of the puzzle is done, I can start planning. </p>