question about block and col. springs

<p>Many have expressed enthusiasm for the block schedule. I'd like to hear people speak to both pros and cons please. Also, does colorado springs feel isolated; some concern that there will not be internship opportunities near campus.</p>

<p>I dont know anything about the block schedule but I am from Colorado and i definitly dont think Colorado Springs is isolated. It is rapidly growing and there are plenty of large companies that call C. Springs home. I guess it depends on what you compare it too, It is no Chicago or Philly but there would be ample opportunities for both internships and entertainment within the city. It is also getting closer ad closer to Denver and all the opportunities it offers without the drawbacks. </p>

<p>Hope I helped!</p>

<p>Thank you lemon drop for the info. on col. springs. Would love to hear from other colorado college students in terms of the block and whether they feel the campus becomes too small after the first year or two or three. It would seem that art history on block, lots of time to view slides and films and trek to museums would be great but that three hours of Math might be too much. Also, how is retention of material--in history or any subject really--when so much is packed into such a short time period? Any thoughts about retention with block? Thanks for replying.</p>

<p>As far as internships in the Springs, it definitely would depend on the field of study. We have good friends who live there. Husband has 20+ years in MIS, been out of work since June, has been looking in Denver as well, nothing. Many of their friends made their money elsewhere, are early retirees, and moved there for the outdoorsy lifestyle and foothills location. Or, they have jobs where they travel weekly to other cities and are back on weekends. Also, pay scales are much lower there than in other parts of the country. The Springs does feel somewhat isolated and is fairly sterile with little diversity. I tease my friend about living in her "Colorado Cocoon." BTW, she tells me that CO College has a good reputation out west for a LAC. Student body is kind of the quirky, granola types. I've heard mixed reviews on block scheduling--one of those either love it or hate it kind of things. An overnight visit, sitting in on classes, talking to a wide range of current students should reveal if that method of instruction is the right one for your S or D.</p>

<p>Thanks gobluealummom for your insights. The college has an excellent reputation and is competitive to get into. I do worry about the cacoon aspect and would love to hear more from others who attend cc,</p>