Question about choosing not to send SAT scores to a test preferred school

My son is applying to a test preferred school. It’s his first choice. He has a great GPA and solid academic rigor with eight AP courses and 2 intensified classes but his SAT is not great and is 20 points below the middle 50% for the school (he’s always been a terrible standardized test taker).

The school indicated they are preferred and accepted less than 7% of students last year who didn’t submit scores. I believe his application is stronger without scores. But when the school is test preferred, do you think it hurts him not to send the scores?

Thx.

If his score is within 20 points of the 50th percentage I’d send it. That’s close enough — especially if the school strongly encourages test scores.

4 Likes

Have you looked at the common data set to see the 25/75 split? It’s likely above the 25 and don’t forget the means 25% submitted at the 25th percentile or below.

If you say the school and score we can give you guidance including what % of enrollees actually submitted. Or you can find it in the common data set section c9.

I may be a bit slow today. Just to be clear: Do you mean 20 points below the median SAT score (I would send it) or 20 points below the 25th percentile (I would not send it)?

If his score is well over the 25th percentile, and 20 points below the median, then he is probably okay (given good GPA and rigor and references), or at least that would be my guess.

3 Likes

Without knowing the school, yes, I believe it hurts not to send to a test preferred school.

It would help to know the school and mid 50% range.

If you are talking about Auburn, I would send it.

The school that is test preferred is Auburn.

I am getting conflicting SAT information.

According to the latest common data set for 2022 on their website - his score is less then the 25% percentile.

However I called admissions and generally spoke with a rep who said his score was 20 points below middle 50% and he should submit.

Their website lists a different middle50% and he is 50 points below that one.

So, while all this information is inconsistent, his score still isn’t very good compared to the above.

He has a 3.96/4, 8 AP classes and 2 intensified and comes from a competitive and rigorous high school.

Their website says:

Students with a 3.6 GPA who are unable to secure a test score should apply as test-optional.

Students should apply WITH at test score IF the student:

• Has a 3.59 or lower GPA
  • Has been able to secure a test score
  • Has GPA and test score within or higher than our middle 50%

Based on the above it would seem he should apply test optional since he has a GPA above 3.59 and his test score is lower than the middle 50 but when I spoke with the representative and attended their college tour, they really pushed wanting scores.

This is my son’s top choice for college and I just want to make the right decision on whether to send scores or not.

Any thoughts you have are appreciated.

There’s your answer.

Is your S considering taking another test?

1 Like

Yes.

Based on all of this information, I’d submit. He’s strong all around- admissions told you to send it- and 20 points is not going to tip the scale to a no (in my opinion). If you don’t submit- there is a risk they think his score is really low. Is he planning to take again? He can always add a higher score if he happens to get one! So much stress goes into applying. Hang in there!

1 Like

They have a lot more apps due to joining common app.

It’s gotten tougher - admit rates have really dropped.

95% submitted.

According to common data set (and this is likely last, not this year), it was 1240 at the 25th, 1310 at the 50th, and 1370 at the 75th.

If they told you that their admit rate is 7% with test scores (seems very low) and the overall is approaching 44%, you really have no choice.

According to their data, 69% had a 1200-1399 and 12.74% between 1000 and 1199.

Is his 3.96 weighted or unweighted because 62% had a 4.0+ but that’s got to be weighted.

20% between 3.75-99.

This is for this year - so it sort of says - we’re not really test optional.

The university’s 2023 early action decisions extend from October to January, with regular decisions being announced in March. The acceptance rate for Auburn’s early action periods was 44% for a total of 20,000 acceptances. Those students had an average ACT score of 28.2 and an average GPA of 4.2, with less than 9% admitted under the university’s test-optional pathway.

I imagine he gets in - and I understand the trepidation and I don’t want to say it’s a reach - I don’t think it is and you have to make the best decision for you and we don’t know 2023 data (4.2 and 28 which is equivalent to a 1300) - but me personally, given all they say and want - I think you have to take the chance and again, at the median, 50% are below, etc.

Will it impact merit aid - I don’t know.

Scholarship just says 3.5.

Other colleges like Auburn - sort of - I don’t see exact parallels but Miss State has a similar environment. If you wanted a back up. Maybe App State but smaller.

Best of luck in what you decide. I’d submit - but obviously what you think is what matters.

Your other option - wait - and take the test again or an SAT. They have an Oct 15 and Nov 15 deadline.

The OOS stats are decidedly higher.

The middle 50% profile for students enrolling Fall 2021 is:

• ACT: 23-30 (AL Resident)
  • ACT: 27-31 (Non-Resident)
  • SAT: 1160-1370 (AL-Resident)
  • SAT: 1240-1370 (Non-Resident)
  • GPA: 3.85-4.31

Good luck.

You are basically saying he is anywhere from like 20-40 percentile for test scores. They accept 71% (not accounting for early action/decision) which means his changes are probably around 14% or higher. Without test scores he’s looking at 7%. Nine of this accounts for the rest of his transcript. He has a better chance with the test.

That’s two year old data.

Regardless, OP (or their S) called admissions who said the student should submit (hopefully it was an AO and not a student worker answering the phone). If so, This seems easy to me…we often tell students to seek guidance from admissions on submitting testing.

Auburn says in their admissions sessions that they want test scores. Their website says it too. Their admission results also show how important test scores are….for class of 2023 early action, the acceptance rate was 44%, average admitted ACT was 28, and something less than 9% of those were admitted under the test-optional pathway (that is not the same as a 9% acceptance rate for TO applicants).

The university’s 2023 early action decisions extend from October to January, with regular decisions being announced in March. The acceptance rate for Auburn’s early action periods was 44% for a total of 20,000 acceptances. Those students had an average ACT score of 28.2 and an average GPA of 4.2, with less than 9% admitted under the university’s test-optional pathway.

1 Like

ooooh - good catch. I got it from their FAQs.

Didn’t see the year - wonder why it’s on their website?

Frequently Asked Questions | Office of Undergraduate Admissions (auburn.edu)

This at least shows for this year.