Question about class selection for next year

Hi! I am going to be choosing classes soon for next year, and I will have taken both AP Lang and AP Lit before my senior year. However, my counselor is telling me that it looks very bad for college applications not to take an English elective senior year. I want to take some other science classes that are offered at my school (because I am more interested in STEM). However, my counselor is very opposed to this and says it could severely hurt my chances if I don’t take an English class senior year (even though I still have four years of English because I took Honors High School English 1 during middle school as part of an accelerated program). Is she right, or should I take a science class instead?

She is right. Colleges expect you to take your core subjects every year, which includes a foreign language If possible.

5 Likes

She is right. Def take English your senior year!

3 Likes

I am having the same problem with my foreign language as well, because I will already have taken AP for it, but there is nothing to take after that. Would this hurt my chances as well, even though there is nothing I can take?

Yes. Top colleges expect an English class every year, regardless of credits already earned.

1 Like

If you’ve maxed out your school’s foreign language offerings, particularly if you ended with AP, you’ve met every college’s recommendations

4 Likes

Thank you so much for your help! I just have one more question about classes, which is whether it is worth it or not to be a teaching assistant, because if I am taking an English class senior year I will have to choose between being a teaching assistant (for a science class) and taking a science elective junior year.

Depends on the rest of your schedule. Personally I’d prioritize coursework over TA

1 Like

I will be taking 5 AP classes that year, and will have taken 2 AP science classes already. It would be an elective like forensics, astronomy, etc.

You should discuss with you counselor and consider what is typical for your school. IMO it’s a choice that depends on the bigger picture. It sounds like you were planning on taking that elective in place of English. If it’s worth not taking English for it, it’s probably worth not TA for it.

1 Like

Thank you for the advice! I will definitely discuss this with my counselor when we meet for course selection.