Question about dentistry

Hello

What subjects are important for studying dentistry?

If u have to choose between statistics and calculus what should I choose which is important for dentistry?

And if I u have to choose between physics , chemistry and biology which one is important for dentistry?

I hope u can help

I’m very confused.

Welcome! First thing, if that is your real name, please consider changing it.

Regarding dentistry, if you will be equally successful in all classes, calculus will be more valuable than statistics. For the sciences, you should be exposed to all three - biology, chemistry and physics. Have you already taken one year and are considering a second year in one of them? If so, I feel that biology or chemistry will be more helpful in college.

If you mean as a high school student who wants to take predental courses in college, take all three of biology, chemistry, and physics in high school (they do not all have to be advanced or AP level). College courses in those subjects may assume at least high school level knowledge as prerequisites.

For math, it is generally better to stay on the calculus track in high school in case your college major requires calculus or you need to take calculus based statistics.

Yes I’m in high school now
And we have to choose one of the them(bio, phy & chem) so I really want to know which does dentistry depends to more than the others
I can’t choose them all only one of them
Thank u soooo much for replying
:bouquet::bouquet::bouquet:

Hello! Dentist here-

In general, dental schools want to see one year of biology, one year of regular chemistry, one year of organic chemistry, and one year of physics. The DAT, the standardized test for dental school admission has sections with general chemistry, organic chemistry, biology, and math (although the math IIRC was relatively simpler math). While most dental schools wanted a year of physics, it was not tested on the DAT.

While statistics is beneficial for advanced study in dentistry, I think taking calculus (if you are in high school) is probably a better move.

Seeing your updated post, biology is of utmost importance but you will need to take chemistry and physics in college as well as continued biology. Don’t sweat it too much because US dental schools will look at the college courses you take and your high school courses will not have an impact on your dental school admission.

High schools in the US typically allow and encourage taking a year of each of biology, chemistry, and physics. If you have only one of these three during all of your years of high school, you may have difficulty getting into any college other than an open admission community college.

Your high school courses will not be directly relevant to dental school, but college courses in biology, chemistry, and physics could be harder if you have never seen that material at the high school level.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.