QUestion about deposits, housing deposits

<p>D was accepted into the Honors program and is seriously considering U of Al. WE are visiting next week. She hasn’t put down a deposit because she isn’t sure it is her first choice but I am worried about housing. Will it be too late or is it already too late to get a single room if we wait until her visit to do the deposit? What about the Outdoor program before college starts?</p>

<p>*Will it be too late or is it already too late to get a single room if we wait until her visit to do the deposit? What about the Outdoor program before college starts? *</p>

<p>Last year, those who waited until all acceptances/FA packages were rec’d found it hard to get the honors housing they wanted. Some were able to eventually get what they wanted, but it took daily checking to find empty honors rooms in honors suites that others had changed their minds about. </p>

<p>I’m not saying that your child wouldn’t be able to get a room in an honors suite, but it might be harder to do and/or she won’t get into the particular hall that she might want…or with particular suitemates that she might want. </p>

<p>If I were you, I’d deposit very soon.</p>

<p>A similar question was asked during our Honor College visit last Friday and the answer was that those who turned in their housing deposit for the Honors College after March 1st would still have a selection day in April before selections were opened up to the rest of the freshman. We turned my son’s in before March 1st and got the last selection period in March, March 24 from 7:00 pm to 10:00 pm. I think turning in your housing deposit ASAP is the best advice. I believe it is at least partially refundable.</p>

<p>If I recall correctly, the $200 enrollment fee is nonrefundable. Of the $225 housing deposit, $200 is refundable if you end up not going to 'Bama. So, basically, you’re out $225 if you decide not to go…</p>

<p>I’d just like to point out I paid my deposits in October and I guess I still won’t get to pick until March 22nd; I had a school trip and no internet last week so I missed my day; I thought I could make it up anytime but apparently not… it’s a weird system.</p>

<p>Oddly, this is also the first thing that’s made me actually upset with UA… and caused me to reconsider my whole college decision for whatever reason. (Reason: I’m irrational when I’m upset.) I just think it’s kind of unfair that because I couldn’t do the one particular day they gave us my housing is all messed up and I’m picking at the same time as people who paid in January.</p>

<p>But c’est la vie. Roll tide.</p>

<p>I get ya’. we paid Dec 22nd, cut off was December 21sty:( Now we wait a week and a half later. Truthfully it will all be OK though, the only thing that would worry me is if I had my whole suite set up, I am sure 4 people will have a tough go of it choosing late.</p>

<p>Do you guys know anyone who can “pull you in” to their suite?</p>

<p>Apparently no one can log in until the 22nd. I thought if I missed the 10th I could just log back in before the second round and do it. But nope, I have to wait.</p>

<p>I’m sure it’ll be fine, though I did have a room of four set up, at least in theory. I’m just somewhat annoyed as I wanted the first pick day, therefore convinced my parents to pay everything in October, which they agreed to do only if I agreed to not seriously consider anywhere else I got into (hello and goodbye, Vanderbilt, etc.). So that’s all kind of pointless now.</p>

<p>Okay we did it. SHe gets to pick on the last day before the general registration begins.</p>

<p>Best of luck to you both!!</p>

<p>My son doesn’t get to pick until the 24th. He doesn’t seem worried about it. I am encouraging him to get on roommate finder and e-mail some kids, but he just sees it as nagging on my part. Just doin my job… My other son keeps warning him he’s going to get stuck with a “stoner who doesn’t care,” but he just kind of laughs it off since he wants to live in honors housing.</p>

<p>That’s great news, MilitaryMom!</p>

<p>crazyinalabama11, just wanted to assure you that if you log in as soon as the room selection time opens on the 22nd, you’ll have quite a few choices. If you’re looking for just a single room, there will be rooms available in all the honors suites, except for maybe Ridgecrest South - North Tower, but there may even be a handful there. I know my daughter’s suite in Ridgecrest West has one spot and it looked like there were about 15 other spots still available when selection closed. If you’re interested in Riverside and/or Lakeside, they had quite a few spots left, even suites with 3 and 4 rooms available. My suggestion would be to log in right away, select the number of empty rooms you’re looking for, and then select a particular dorm. When my D selected all for the dorm choice, no availabilty showed up, but when she picked a specific dorm, lots of rooms showed up. Maybe by the next selection time they’ll have that little glitch fixed, but if not, just a heads up so you don’t panic. Good luck to you! I understand your frustration, but you’ll feel way better once your room is selected!! Roll Tide :)</p>

<p>Rose808,</p>

<p>Thanks for the advice! I did want to live in Ridgecrest South - North, but I can get over it. I’m now torn between enjoying spring break and wishing it were already next Tuesday…</p>

<p>I vote enjoy your spring break!! When you log in, check RS-N first. If there’s nothing, move right on down your priority list, pick a room, and then keep checking periodically as long as the selection period is open for. Things were changing minute by minute. I have a good feeling you’ll get what you want. Now go have a fun spring break :)</p>

<p>Hey-sorry to interrupt… But how do you know what date you can start the selection process? I must be missing something…</p>

<p>To determine your initial room selection date, please find your date of housing application, and find the corresponding date and time. Please note, all times for room selection are Central Time. You may initially select a room during your first room selection period, but you can return as often as you wish, and you may change spaces as often as you wish, whenever room selection is open. If you do not initially find the exact space you want, you should choose another space, and then return to room selection at a later date to look for other spaces.</p>

<p>Each student will receive detailed information about the room selection process through their crimson e-mail account. Please follow the directions for room selection contained in that e-mail and contact Housing and Residential Communities with any questions.</p>

<p>Please note, a student’s housing during his/her freshman year may impact housing choices during the sophomore year. Currently, students who are not living in Honors Housing, or in Lakeside, Ridgecrest, Riverside, or Bryant, during their freshman year will not be able to select those residence halls for their sophomore year.</p>

<p>Room Selection For Living-Learning Community Residence Halls ONLY
For students eligible for, and planning to select a space within a living-learning community (including Honors Housing)</p>

<p>To select a room in March, a student must be eligible to select a space within a living-learning community, e.g., Honors Housing, Friedman Hall (C & BA only), Bryant Hall (male Engineering students), Harris Hall (Nursing, Arts & Sciences, Communications, and HES students), or Blount (Blount Undergraduate Initiative). Please note, some of these programs require a separate application, in addition to the housing application. If you are not eligible for, or interested in, one of these communities, you will enter room selection in April, according to your housing application date. You may view your housing application date at any time by returning to the online housing application. Your application date is located on the MyHousingApplication page. The March login times are only for the living-learning community residence halls. Regular residence halls will not be available for room selection until April.</p>

<p>Housing Application Date Room Selection Date & Time (Central Time)
October 1 - October 20, 2010 March 10, 6:00 -10:00 p.m.
October 21 - November 5, 2010 March 10, 7:00 -10:00 p.m.
November 6 - November 30, 2010 March 10, 8:00 -10:00 p.m.
December 1-December 20, 2010 March 22, 6:00 -10:00 p.m.
December 21, 2010- January 10, 2011 March 22, 7:00 -10:00 p.m.
January 11-January 31, 2011 March 22, 8:00 -10:00 p.m.
February 1 - February 10, 2011 March 24, 6:00 -10:00 p.m.
February 11 - March 1, 2011 March 24, 7:00 -10:00 p.m.
All application dates up to April 1 April 12, 6:00 -10:00 p.m.</p>