Question about Dorm move in

<p>Our son is assigned to Barnard and his move in day is August 28th. We will be arriving the 27th. My wife has arranged to pick up most of his furnishings at local department stores. Although his move in day is the 28th, I remember reading about some families sneaking in the night before. </p>

<pre><code> We will have a couple of bulky items in the rental car with us. Our plan is to take care of the shopping most of the day and then celebrate a farewell dinner at night. It would be nice to drop off the futon and rug before we go out to dinner. Is is possible to move some things into his room the night before? If so, how do we get the key to his room?
</code></pre>

<p>Call Res Halls with your question (phone # listed online and in your info I’m sure). They split dorms into two days of move in because of the numbers- splitting each dorm into half each day. They may allow you to move stuff in if you ask for the favor- unless they get too many requests. Your son’s “house” will include his floor and will likely be empty. The student needs to show ID and get the room key from their Hall desk- listed in your info/online (parents can’t do it). The only trouble I can see is that the next day’s keys may be harder for desk personel to locate- the call to Res Halls may help in this, as well as the hours you can get it. A late arrival may mean no extra help from the Badger Buddies. Also- be sure to ask about your parking pass since you get one 1-hour pass which will get turned in when you park and you would want 2 separate times to lug stuff.</p>

<p>Good idea to have dinner the night before as he will likely be busy with a house meeting on move in day around dinner/supper time. Campus near the dorms is a real zoo those 2 days, but they have excellent signage. Remember to get a copy of the free “Isthmus Annual Manual” for yourself- found many places in the area. It will have a comprehensive list of restaurants.</p>