Question about GPA and admissions/scholarships

<p>Alabama has a hard cutoff for GPA for scholarships and I think honors.</p>

<p>My son’s school has a harsh, I would say almost punitive grading system with a ridiculous level of granularity. The kids have challenged it, but have gotten no where. Is the grading system of the high school and the strength of the curriculum considered when making decisions on admissions/scholarships?</p>

<p>A = 96 - 100 = 4.0
A- = 94 - 96 = 3.75
A/B = 92 - 94 = 3.5
B+ = 90 - 92 = 3.25
B = 88 - 90 = 3.0
B- = 86 - 88 = 3.0
B/C = 84 - 86 = 2.5
C+ = 82 - 84 = 2.25
C = 80 - 82 = 2.0
C- = 78 - 80 = 1.75
D/C = 76 - 78 = 1.5</p>

<p>riprorin, I have heard that it is not, but not 100% sure. </p>

<p>Does your school give weighted grades for AP/Honors classes?</p>

<p>See if you can get the counselor to write a GPA on your son’s transcript that reflects a more traditional grading scale or weighting that shows your son as having a GPA of 3.5+. UA will take the highest GPA listed on the transcript, be it weighted, recalculated, or non-weighted/recalculated. The only time when UA recalculates GPAs is when it is on a nonstandard scale such as a 6.0 or 100 point scale. If his GPA is also reported on the 100 scale, an 85 or 86, but preferably an 87+, should equal a 3.5.</p>

<p>Generally speaking, UA does not consider a school’s grading scale or strength of curriculum unless it is a nonstandard scale/curriculum.</p>

<p>No, Bama doesn’t take into acct curriculum or harsh grading systems. You can appeal to your school (principal and GC ) to hand write a weighted GPA on there.</p>

<p>OR…if possible, not put grades or GPA, just put the 100 scale numbers…then Bama will calculate. </p>

<p>What is your child’s GPA?</p>

<p>When schools do this it makes understand why parents homeschool…to avoid this kind of thing. </p>

<p>With a grading scale like that a NMSF would have a hard time making NMF.</p>

<p>He has a 3.76. They do give an additional 0.25 for honors/AP/college courses.</p>

<p>I calculated the numerical average and it is 95.04.</p>

<p>The school already sent his transcript in. I should have checked in here first!</p>

<p>He should be fine with that GPA for admissions, scholarships and Honors College, and it shouldn’t put him out of the running for UFE or CBH, either.</p>

<p>Ah…he’s fine!!!</p>

<p>That is the exact same scale my DD’s private school uses…</p>

<p>Irritating, at best.</p>