Question about Honors Bama Bound

<p>For Honors freshmen is it absolutely necessary to attend the Honors Bama Bound sessions? Can we simply call some one on the phone and get all the necessary information relating to classes and registration? I was wondering if D could simply avoid making a trip now ( to attend one of the designated Honors BB sessions ) and instead arrive a few days before the semester starts and get all the required info then. We have already visited the college once.</p>

<p>I don’t think it has to be specifically an Honors Bama bound.
There is an advantage though to attending early BB sessions. After attending Bama bound you are cleared to register for classes. Bama does a good job of holding space in core classes to be opened at different times throughout the summer. But the earlier Bama bounds give you the advantage of being able to watch over the summer for more spaces to open in a particular class. UH classes only hold 15 students. It can be difficult to get into a particular one.
There are also some BB express orientations. It is only one day and worked better for our schedule.</p>

<p>There is a BB session right before the semester starts. Registration might be a bit trickier but that’s an option if you can’t attend another session.</p>

<p>You have to attend a BB to register. You can’t register by phone.</p>

<p>You can attend the LAST BB to save an extra trip.</p>

<p>I can say that whichever BB session you attend, your student probably won’t feel like a true college student until they have registered for classes. It will finally hit them, once they attend BB, that they are indeed leaving home, and that they are now truly part of the UA community. BB is where it all comes together, regardless of how many (or how few) trips you’ve made to campus prior to that.</p>

<p>^^^aeromom: I would agree with that, it seems that Bama Bound is the last thread that sews the whole “getting ready for college” experience together. After BB, the student feels like a college student.</p>

<p>If UH classes hold only 15 students how can someone attending a BB session in August register for those classes?</p>

<p>@quiet
Son went to Honors Bama Bound in July last year and got into UH 155 Intl War Crimes…they open those 15 seats throughout the summer…they opened 2 seats during his session. The trick is to be ready…they open the seats at 9:00 am on the 2nd day of orientation. If you try to sign up for all of your classes (4 or 5 or how many ever you are taking) chances are slim you will get the 1 or 2 seats…so my son was checking and rechecking and then when the seat opened he grabbed it and then went back in to get his other classes…actually he tweaked his schedule over the rest of the summer to get better times and/or better prof’s or better locations (based on the rest of his day) and the UH 155 class was probably the only one he didn’t change.</p>

<p>That is another reason to attend as early of a BamaBound as you can…once you have registerd you can get on and make changes and they will be adding seats and sections throughout the summer so if you make a list of the other orientation days and check on the 2nd morning around 9:00 CT you will see seats being added…</p>

<p>My son didn’t graduate until mid June and could not make it any earlier than the July session and he ended up with a great schedule so don’t fret if you can’t make the early Bama Bounds :)</p>

<p>If UH classes hold only 15 students how can someone attending a BB session in August register for those classes?</p>

<p>Son went to Honors Bama Bound in July last year and got into UH 155 Intl War Crimes…they open those 15 seats throughout the summer…they opened 2 seats during his session.</p>

<p>Not really. Did your son attend the July honors BB? or did there just happen to be a few open honors seats? </p>

<p>They open those seats during the honors BB…I think there is one in May, one in June and one in July. </p>

<p>I do not think that a couple of Honors seats are held back for each BB. There are just too many BBs to do that, plus that would defeat the purpose of the honors BB if only a couple of seats opened for each of those. </p>

<p>Each honors class seats 15 kids. There are about 20 BBs. So, it’s very unlikely that each BB releases a few seats. Each of the Honors BBs would have to release at least 4-5 seats for each section. Maybe if a particular non-honors-BB has many honors kids attending there might be a release, but the numbers wouldn’t work if each BB had honors seats released. </p>

<p>If you attend another BB, you might be able to register for an honors class if there are seats available.</p>

<p>@m2ck
Yes son did attend July Honors BB and up to that point this class only showed 10 (or maybe 11) seats and they were all full…then on Day 2 of the July BB there were 2 available seats with 12 (or 13) total…son got one of them…the last 3 (or 2) seats were released at some point after the July BB session…</p>

<p>^ yes, we saw a few seats open up in Honors sections of classes and UH classes last year.</p>

<p>QT, if you are reluctant to bring your D to a session of BB because of cost, perhaps there is a parent on here who can volunteer to shuttle your D to/from the airport. She will be fine on her own once she gets to campus. When we attended BB last year, there were at least five BB families on our flight.</p>

<p>*@m2ck
Yes son did attend July Honors BB and up to that point this class only showed 10 (or maybe 11) seats and they were all full…then on Day 2 of the July BB there were 2 available seats with 12 (or 13) total…son got one of them…the last 3 (or 2) seats were released at some point after the July BB session…
*</p>

<p>That makes sense. Releasing some honors seats for honors BBs would be the standard. Finding open Honors seats during the other BBs would be hit or miss.</p>

<p>Are there any advantages to attending honors Bama Bound over the regular one? It’s more difficult for me to attend one of the honors sessions, but not impossible, so I was wondering if it was worth it!</p>

<p>At the honors BB, honors class seats open and the honors faculty speak and tell you more about the HC.</p>