Question about Honors Program...

<p>I was wondering... do they send out anything to you about the honors program? Is it like you're automatically in if you're qualified, or do they just pick the most qualified from the "qualified" pile or whatever? I was accepted back in November..... 34 ACT, 3.95 GPA, Valedictorian with lots of leadership positions, so I think I've qualified... judging from what they said on their website and all... yeah my questions probably sound ridiculous... I'm just really confused.</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>If you are talking about the UHP, you might want to go to the website and find Catharine Patrone's e-mail to ask her if she knows what your situation is.</p>

<p>I called yesterday and they said they sent the letters out. I'm questioning that only because my son got the big trustee's scholarship and that looks like the same requirements but no honor letter...</p>

<p>^ exact same situation..... I got the trustees letter but no honor letter... but on the plus side, I'll be visiting tomorrow, so I'll make sure to ask when I'm there =)</p>

<p>let us know!</p>

<p>hey... I asked today ^ apparently letters are being sent out this week so you should have them by next week.... I hope they're right!</p>

<p>thanks- are you planning to go?</p>

<p>yep - my eventual lifetime goal has always been to work for NASA as an astronaut, and I was always the odd one out on that.... but I met a good three others during my first hour there who also wanted to become astronauts...that made my choice a lot easier =)</p>

<p>Was your decision easier because those you met wouldn't provide any competition or were they an inspiration? We visited recently and I was amazed at the caliber (or lack thereof) of some of the potential AAE students.</p>

<p>Purdue is actually a school known for producing astronauts. However, that association came back when aero-engineering was beginning and Purdue had one of the first and only departments, so by lack of competition they got a decent number out. But since other schools since they have had the time to develop engineering programs, Purdue hasnt graduated an engineer -> astronaut in over 20 years. The last AE Purdue astronaut graduated in 1978.
However their placement in NASA positions I think is probably pretty decent. </p>

<p>As for the caliber of students that SOS mentioned in the last post, most of Purdue's student body is relatively week, and those that I know attend as engineers did so because they got rejected from the UC system. But due to certain scholarships and Purdue's relative love for international students, they do get a thin line of high-end students.</p>

<p>Thank you for your honesty!! My son now wants to go into the Physics dept. in order to get to be an Astronaut. Seems like they aren't very selective. Will he get a 35,000.00 per year education? Could he get it better and cheaper elsewhere? The prof fell asleep on our interview. the cheerleaders who said that they " have to work reeeally, reeeally hard" makes one not want to be a part of their dept.</p>

<p>Of all of Purdue's core science and engineering departments, I would consider physics the weakest. While one would imagine that a good physics and engineering department would go hand in hand, this is not always so. Basically, physics is highly theoretical when compared to engineering of any type. In fact, Purdue is not even ranked among Gourman's list of colleges to go for physics, while I believe it makes the list for most other sciences. Stick that with its consideration for having some of the worst teaching in the nation and I wouldnt even consider spending 35k$ per year on a Purdue physics education, when compared to the in-state price of almost any local state university. </p>

<p>If you want my complete advice on general options, I could give it if you post or PM me your sons basic stats and ECs. As a physics major I am quite knowledgeable of the different levels.</p>

<p>Why is everyone bashing on Purdue??</p>

<p>Thank you, Seiken. ACT 35 National Merit Finalist # 1 out of 486 Valedictorian GPA 4.2. Oh, and he is only a HS Junior, and skipped a grade so he just turned 16.</p>

<p>Er I am not trying to bash on Purdue; just commenting on the general idea that if you want to be an astronaut whether or not you should go there. And the physics department isnt ranked so thats just information. Its a good school and rightly deserves to be called an A school for B students (USNWR), but calling it the 'cradle of astronaut's gives a certain level of false expectations in my opnion. </p>

<p>Anyways, SOS, Ill PM you a list of good colleges based on those stats.</p>

<p>sometimes it's about fit and wanting to be at a place-"better" isn't always right. My son got into schools that would be seemingly "better" but Purdue felt right. same with my daughter.
sometimes there are very bright kids who don't come off like that meeting them. From everything I read, there are a lot of bright kids at Purdue- a lot of the programs are the best in the country. As has been said many of times, it may be easy getting in to Purdue, but you have to work hard to stay there.</p>

<p>I find it interesting that a Harvey Mudd student would not only reply on a Purdue thread, but bad mouth as well. It seems HM students have more time to spend on trivial activities than Purdue students. Also, Purdue has at least two astronauts that have graduated since 1984. So please, if you are relying on information from this thread, consider the source.</p>

<p>Okay, I have a great deal of respect for Purdue despite what it may seem, especially its engineering program. However, I do believe that going to Purdue is no longer the right path for becoming an astronaut, especially for an engineer. I also believe that the physics department there is lacking when compared to its other, more well-known departments. And while a fullride to Purdue would always be something to think about, 35k per year could potentially buy him something more along the lines of what he is looking for. Am I wrong? </p>

<p>Anyways, here is the list of Purdue astronauts:
Purdue</a> Astronaut Alumni</p>

<p>The last ENGINEER came from the class of 84. There was an MS in Materials Science in 91, but that is neither engineering nor undergraduate. Mind you people become astronauts a few years after they graduate, (and the 91 guy did in 2k), but as of recent years with respect to aerospace engineers: the places where they came from was either the military academies or Japan. (there might have been another batch since I looked into this a few years ago though) </p>

<p>And lets not assume I have too much free time on my hand. Its not like Im the only person who takes a break during studying; I didnt even sleep last night.</p>

<p>
[quote]
I find it interesting that a Harvey Mudd student would not only reply on a Purdue thread, but bad mouth as well. It seems HM students have more time to spend on trivial activities than Purdue students. Also, Purdue has at least two astronauts that have graduated since 1984. So please, if you are relying on information from this thread, consider the source.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>What does it matter that Seiken goes to Mudd? A student is only allowed to comment on his/her own school now? Seiken didn't mention Mudd once in his posts. You just brought it up and made a sweeping generalization that Mudd students "have more time to spend on trivial activities than Purdue students".</p>

<p>"I find it interesting that a Harvey Mudd student would not only reply on a Purdue thread, but bad mouth as well. It seems HM students have more time to spend on trivial activities than Purdue students. Also, Purdue has at least two astronauts that have graduated since 1984. So please, if you are relying on information from this thread, consider the source."</p>

<p>Well, machman, thanks for the generalization about Mudders. I find about 15 minutes a week to go on here...</p>

<p>Just because you are mach-man doesn't mean you need to be making shockwaves. Just relax and allow the flow to move on the Fanno line... just keep it from choking.</p>

<p>In any case, your attack was a "weak oblique shock".</p>